date on display out by 20 years

Maddman

This is my second posting of this question.

I recently bought a basic Etrex and it displays the wrong date. I have tried all the suggestions posted by those who responede to my original question on June 21. None of these have worked. Any other suggestions?

Maddman icon_confused.gif

what happens if you take it outside with a clear view of the sky?

i cant imagine if getting a lock, after 10? minutes or so it should ask if you've moved more than 200miles from the last time you used it, and depending on wether you answer yes or no. the other question is is todays date XXXX? at this one you should answer NO and it should ask for the correct date.

im not sure which one it will ask first.

if it doesnt ask you those, or it does somehow get a "lock" and tell you its ready to navigate, then i would think your unit is buggy and you should take it back to the dealer/and or contact garmin and find out where to send the thing for service.

whack.gif

When the unit it first turned on, it needs to downlaod an "almanac" of information about the satellites and the system. Often on etrex units, if the unit doesn't have good reception, this almanac gets corrupted. You need to force it to re-download teh almanac. The only way to do this is to force a system reset. Check the garmin support pages http://www.garmin.com/support/ . Once you're reset the unit, make sure you have good reception for 30-45 minutes, say by leaving it on the back porch.

-- Mitch

My etrex camo was blanking out. It would not loose contact but the screen just went blank. I did the master reset and everything is great. All you do is make sure the unit is off. Push the enter and page button at the same time and hold down. Turn on the GPS this will erase everythig except the operating system. Your way points will be gone, but it will leave any new softwere you have downloaded to upgrade to a new softwear version.

You will have to go through the same set up as you did when it was new. Ron