Garmin Venture Keeps Shutting Off

My garmin venture has started this thing where when I turn it on, it shuts itself off. Sometimes it's within a few seconds, sometimes it's a minute or two. But it won't stay on. I replaced the batteries and it still does it. In fact, it does it even when plugged in to the cigarette lighter.

Someone said I need to "reset" it, but how do I do this?

My garmin venture has started this thing where when I turn it on, it shuts itself off.  Sometimes it's within a few seconds, sometimes it's a minute or two.  But it won't stay on.  I replaced the batteries and it still does it.  In fact, it does it even when plugged in to the cigarette lighter.

Someone said I need to "reset" it, but how do I do this?

Let me ask something stupid, "Its not set in the menu to shut down automatically, is it"? I can't remember if this is an option on the Etrex menu or not? Anyone near thier Etrex series GPS? Mines in my work truck.

Edited by RockyRiver

No, it's not set to do that. I don't know where that setting would be, but I've been using it for several months with no problem. Then the other day while en route to a cache, it shut down. It'd been working fine all day up to that point. So, thinking the batteries were dead, I took fresh ones out of my backpack and tried them, same problem. So later, back in the car and plugged into the lighter, same problem.

Did this one have the problem with the ribbon cable coming loose. When it goes out the next time try squeezing the unit and see if the display comes back on. Usually it ends up with lines in it but I thought some of them did go out totally.

Murph