Ique Software

madt67

I just got a Garmin Ique 3600 and I'm having some problems figuring out how to download waypoints from the site to the GPS unit. So far I have downloaded cetus and cachemate and I've created pocket queries. Palm won't let me download the .LOC files and I can't figure out how to convert them and by reading past posts I don't think that this is necessary anyway.

I would appreciate any help in explaining the easiest way/program to accomplish this. I know enough to be dangerous but get frustrated quickly when things that are supposed to be "easy" and "that's all there is to it" don't work !!! I know it must be "the operator" and I'm okay to accept that responsiblity <_<

thanx in advance

madt67

When you downloaded cachemate there should have been a folder with a program called cmconvert in it. When you open the .loc file in cmconvert it will list all of the geocache waypoints. Select the ones you want (probably all) and select convert. This will create a palm file that will automatically be transferred to your iQue the next time you HotSync. The next time you start cachemate the new caches will be imported in.

Here are some tips

1. You would be better off running your pocket queries with .gpx files. You will get way more information in cachemate.

2. Make sure you install the cachemate iQue plug-in so you can export waypoints from cachemate to the address book and see them on the map

3. Download CacheNav from the cachemate site and install it on you iQue

thanks for the help. I was able to get the waypoints installed into cachemate - YEA!!! But you mentioned an IQUE plugin download? I installed the Garmin plug in but everytime I try to do this it says that it isn't hooked up to a GPS unit. What I would like to accomplish now is transfering the waypoints from cachemate into address book without having to cut and paste. It sounds like there's a way, and probably a very easy one, but I don't know what it is. When I'm at the cachemate website, I can't seem to find a plugin that is specific for the Ique.

madt67

I just got a Garmin Ique 3600 and I'm having some problems figuring out how to download waypoints from the site to the GPS unit.  So far I have downloaded cetus and cachemate and I've created pocket queries.  Palm won't let me download the .LOC files and I can't figure out how to convert them and by reading past posts I don't think that this is necessary anyway.

I have found geocaching with the iQue to be, how shall I put this, a love-hate relationship. I had not heard of cachemate, so I will probably try that after reading this. But I have the Cetus GPS software. I use it along with the built-in mapping software. Here is how I have been using these:

I use GPSbabel to convert gpx to the Cetus file format; then I find that new file; double click on it and the HotSync windows comes up to confirm that at the next hotsync this file will be installed. The information in this file consists of a short description (cache name etc) and coordinates. The CetusGPS software is only a compass emulator with a pointer in the direction of your target. I assume you have the latest CetusGPS version as there was a bug in an older version that made it work poorly with the iQue. This software is a must for geocaching.

I also use the built-in mapping capability. This capability allows identification of waypoints which end up on the map. It has been a real pain to figure out how to do this and it sounds like cachemate will do it for you. I do it manually by creating a Comma-Separated-Value file using Excel. But that involves a fairly complicated formula in the spreadsheet to generate the code for the coordinates. I am happy to share this info, but I would guess it is not of interst to most folks.

I find the mapping part of the iQue to be very useful to find my way to where to park the car when I go caching; but for the hunt I use Cetus. I recently found that if you select the Find feature and have it look for waypoints near the current location, then it will list them all and even show a little arrow beside each one to point to where that location is with respect to the current location.

Another piece of software you definitely need is software that turns the automatic power-down feature off. If you don't have this, then you will be walking along searching only to find the iQue turn itself off. The Cetus software has a feature to do this while it is running, but that doesn't affect the powerdown if you are using the maps. If you don't turn it on again fast enough, then you have to wait a few minutes before it is ready to navigate again.

All in all the iQue, while being a really cool gadget, is not designed for geocaching and you will learn that in several ways.

I have to add my 10c..

With Cachemate the iQue is a formidable caching machine.

I download my pocketqueries use cmconvert to add them to the Que, this is painless and takes seconds.

I now have 1500 UK caches in my iQue, complete with descriptions, hints, coordinates etc, I know that wherever I am if I get a spare half an hour I can "Find nearest caches" in cachemate and there will be one closeby.

I then export the result to the iQues mapping software, have the Que guide me to the cache on road, then I get out of the car launch Cachemates CacheNav plugin and go caching..

When I find the cache, I log it in cachemate, it gets filed under "found" and I'm all set for another cache.

The only drawback to the Que as far as I can see is that it isn't waterproof. But then neither am I. :)

-S.

Edited by Peztone
Another piece of software you definitely need is software that turns the automatic power-down feature off. If you don't have this, then you will be walking along searching only to find the iQue turn itself off.

One wonders, then, how Garmin expects people to use it as a car navigation system, unless the car mounting bracket supplies power from the cig lighter or something. That is assuming that external power keeps it from automatically turning off.

thanx to all of you for all your help. I think I have my IQue all set up to do what I want! :) FYI, for those that are interested, the auto power turnoff is a pain in the rear, but if you do have the IQue hooked up to your cradle, either in the car or at the computer, it will stay on indefinitely. I have an ETrex that I plan on using for the hunt, but I find that the Ique is great to hold all of the cache info and getting you as close to your point of destination in your car, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanx again for all of your help.

madt67

I have to add my 10c..

With Cachemate the iQue is a formidable caching machine.

I download my pocketqueries use cmconvert to add them to the Que, this is painless and takes seconds.

The only drawback to the Que as far as I can see is that it isn't waterproof. But then neither am I. :)

-S.

I concur - it is very powerful. And I would not trade mine. I just downloaded cachemate and agree that that streamlines things to the point where one does not need to have computer programming experience. Why is it that Garmin does not indicate that this software exists? I have been looking for something like this on the web for several weeks.

But with the stuff that comes with the package you are left adding all cache site coordinates by hand. Unless, of course, you can figure out how to get them into your address book (I use Outlook) and that the GARMIN location codes needs to be in Field "user 4". Oh yes, and you have to guess at the formula for creating the item that goes there - it is not documented anywhere that I could find.

I do not cuncurr that the lack of waterproofing is the only problem. (1) The device is not rugged - mine already has a crack in the case from when it slipped out of my and and fell on the ground (my Etrex has tumbled several times and has no damage to show for it) and (2) it really is deficient in the length of time it can go between recharge if you use the GPS part of the device.

I would be curious how you handle the power management issue if you are geocaching for more than one or two hours. I find that I have turn the power off every minute that I don't absolutely need a GPS (which is very annoying because it takes the iQue very long to get a fix compared to my wife's Etrex), and even then I cannot go very long. I bought a powerinverter for my car which generates AC line voltage (it was much cheaper than the travel kit and I can plug in other stuff as well), but everytime the engine is off I feel like I am running on a short timer. If I am caching all day, I don't have use of the Garmin for a significant fraciton of that even if I am in my car a lot during the day. I am going hiking in a few days and would really like to find a way to get more juice to the iQue while I am hiking. Any ideas?

- Hynr

Why is it that Garmin does not indicate that this software exists?  I have been looking for something like this on the web for several weeks.

Once upon a time, back before I had support for the iQue mapping system in CacheMate, I had asked them about passing waypoints to it and they said that they had no plans to release details on how to do that. Needless to say, someone figured out how to do it, and that information is what I used to create the iQue map export.

The fact that they were at first trying to be so secretive about it is one reason I can think of why they wouldn't consider putting a link to software like CacheMate on their site. Another reason I can think of is marketing. The 60C/CS devices are being marketed to geocachers by Garmin, with the extra features geared toward that, but the iQue isn't as much.

I would ask about getting a link put up there as a 3rd-party application, but don't want them to get into their heads to suddenly change the way they manage waypoints to make it less possible for other apps to export them. Call me paranoid, but with other companies it likely would be a valid concern.

When the GPS is enabled, the iQue doesn't turn itself off automatically. It does turn the screen off, to save power, but the GPS is still running. Just press a button, and it's up as it were again.

I use my iQue to drive near the cache, then my Vista to walk to the cache. Each one is better in its particular field.

I have to add my $0.02 on the Que as well.

I have found that for outdoor use, my old GPSV blew the Que away. Where the Que really shines is in-car navigation.

Even as a Garmin dealer I can't really suggest that people use the Que for caching. It's just a pain to load data in/out of the GPS, and having to use 3rd party software for it just shows how much of a kludge it really is.

The ONE thing that I like about the Que for outdoor use is being able to load USGS DRG topos with Fugawi. But even then it's a kludge and sometimes doesn't work right.

I would be curious how you handle the power management issue

I've never had a power problem with my Que, it charges between caches in the car, then when I get on the trial I turn the backlight off (It's easily bright enough in daylight) and head off hiking.. in my pocket I have a 4xAA battery charger just incase the Que runs down, but I've never needed to use it.

I don't walk miles staring at the screen though, if I can see I'm walking half a mile in a straight line I switch it off and look at the scenery :bad:

I'd guess with the backlight off I get around 4 hours out of the Que, I once did a test at home with the 4xAA battery pack attached and it went 11 hours with no problem.

I couldn't trade it for a 60c now because I've become attached to having all those Cache descriptions in there, as an example I finished work at 3pm today 100 miles from home, a quick "find nearest cache" later and I was deep in the woods looking for a cache, with a 60c I'd have had to plan the trip the day before to make sure I had the caches local to the job in the thing and even then I wouldn't have the descriptions & hints..

I know I'll drop it one day and then I'll start moaning about its fragility, but for now I'm 100% with it as a caching machine.

-S.

How do you convert from the cachemate to the address book?

If you look in the "plugins" folder in the CacheMate download, you'll find a file called iQueMapping.prc. Install that, then you'll see a "Map" button at the bottom of the cache record view in CacheMate, and an "Ex" button in the list view. The former will export the cache record you're looking at, and the latter will export the entire category.