Gps Maps

By GPS coordinates I presume you mean Lat and Long in WGS84 datum.

It may be better to do things the other way round. Your GPS probably supports dozens of different coordinate systems, and you need to set it for the maps you are using.

I would check out the major on-line map retailers for maps of the region you are going through.

For most countries in the world, there just are no detailed topo maps. paper or otherwise. The cost of producing a detailed TOPO map of an entire country is very expensive and most of the smaller countries do not have the funds for such an undertaking. Most TOPO maps of the USA are very old and have not been updated that often because of the cost. You can find street maps but I do not think the will have lat / lons etc.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up buying a generic folding travel map from a local bookstore. The map has Lat. and Long. on it, but the scale is so small (1:500,000) that I had to break out the ruler and do some figuring. I think my calculations are pretty accurate. I guess I'll find out how acurate they are when I'm trekking through Malariaville.