Gpsmap 60cs Battery Consumption

tymo

I know that the compass can be turned off to minimize power consumption.

Can the barometric altimeter be turned off also for the same reason?

This would enable the 60CS to match the 60C's power consumption (approx. 30hrs) when the above parameters are not turned on.

I don't have a CS, but assuming it works the same way as with my Vista - as the 60CS' manual indicates - the following will be true:

- you cannot turn the barometric altimeter off

- you can read the GPS elevation only from the menu on the satellite page and that reading will not update automatically

- you cannot use the GPS elevation as a data field, the elevation field will always show the barometric elevation

jbclimber, which page of the manual did you find that info on? (I'd personally like that option)

--Mark

I may have mis-read the manual. On page 67 is says allow GPS receiver to determine elavation. So this may mean that it will just use the satellites to calibrate the barometer (once). Sorry about that.

If I can't turn off the barometer then I will consider this to be a bummer. From my personal experience with climbing/hiking in the mountains, the satellites calculate altitude more accurately than the barometer, which is contrary to what Garmin says.

- John

Let the testing begin !!!

I posted this to another thread before I saw this one.

Surely there is some other 60CS owner out there with a multi-meter that can read ma, and the knowledge to use it. Lets hear some numbers.

Ma drain for the following conditions:

Unit on.

With compass on.

With backlight on.

with compass and backlight on.

All the above with serial port set to none.

Also, when you say "it ran this and this long, it is a good idea to state the type and capacity of the battery you are testing with.

I am just waiting to see if the Ft. Bliss PX can get the 60CS, and how much cheaper than the normal sources.

Looking forward to the data. Thanks.