Newbie Totally confused

FerretFinder

Ok I'm new to this and am still waiting for my GPS but have gone out with a friend for finds. I would like to eventually place caches but am to confused as to what gets archived and what doesn't?

The rules seem clear but some of the things that get archived look like they follow the rules. I mean it looks like as long as it's farther than .1 miles of another one, You get state or city permission if you need it and it's not dangerous you should be able to list it. Some of the ones that have been archived are virutal caches. Why aren't these allowed. I think virtual caches are a great idea expecially if there is history behind the spot etc to get people somewhere they have never been before. Does it really matter if it's hidden like something else?

Do you have to get permission before you enter a cache or just hope it passes? If you have to get permission first why are so many caches getting archived?

Do the volunteers that approve caches understand the rules that they should go by or are they going by what they "feel" should be accepted? Do you all have a meeting every once awhile so the volunteers know what's acceptable and what's not?

These are just questions that I have so that when I place my first cache it will get approved immediately!

Thanks and happy hunting!

Anything no longer active gets archived.

Owner moves away, cache gets stolen, etc.

BTW, put details about your question in the title of the message thread... makes it easier to kepp track which is which.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

Virtuals are allowed, but it's much harder to get them approved these days. They were getting out of hand and people were making virtuals out of flagpoles in parks, fence posts and every practically every roadside marker in existence.

To get one approved now, it now must be 1, an object of significant interest. Something that makes you say "WOW!" when you see it. Not "Yeah, so what".

AND 2, there must be no way to place a real cache in the area.

It's the feeling of the admins that a real cache can usually be incorporated somehow, either by using something at the site as an offset, or placing a micro there.

If you really want to place a virtual, you'll have to convince them on both points.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I went to one that was a multi... the first coordinates just sent you to a "feature" which had a copper tag with the real cache coords Punched into it with letter stamps..

Something like that would be viable even in a national park... nail the copper tag to a post or tree, place the cache outside the boundaries, as long as both are near the boundary.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"