Etrex And Ms Streets & Trips / Netstumbler

kayak77

Has anyone here ever used their Garmin basic yellow eTrex with microsoft's streets and trips 2004? I bought the software a couple months ago to use for some trip planning. I just received my first GPS unit and have ordered the data link cable. Microsoft says they are compatiblse with NMEA which it looks like is also on my GPS unit.

I was just wondering if anyone has used them together and how well they work. I also wanted to know if my unit will work with netstumbler for logging wireless hotspots from my car using my laptop. I don't want to cause trouble, I just want to know where the free ones are so I can find the best spots to take my lunch and use my laptop.

Thanks.

Your eTrex will do just fine with NetStumbler. I don't do much wardriving anymore but when I do, I use my eTrex Vista, Microsoft MapPoint 2004, and NetStumbler together. I'd recommend disabling TCP/IP on your laptop when you go wardriving so your laptop doesn't actually connect to the Access Points you stumbled upon.

I also use a program called Serial Splitter (http://www.eltima.com/products/serialsplitter). It allows you to let both MapPoint 2004 and NetStumbler to share the GPS's serial connection (create virtual serial ports).

Microsoft Streets & Trips 2004 is pretty good with GPS (updates every second unlike previous versions). The map detail is quite nice though it doesn't provide voice feedback for navigation.

Edited by technivore
someone explain wardriving to me....

I assume netstumbler is a pcmcia card wiht an antanea used for looking for free hotspots.....sooo.......what is it in relation to the gps? thanks....

Netstumbler is a Windows application that tracks your LAT/LON from your GPS source and listens to your 802.11b WIFI card plotting Access Point SSIDs along with their signal strength. It then tries to triangulate the location of the AP (naturally if you go up and down enough streets so it has more than one set direction to the AP it'll be more accurate).