Gpsbabel/simplegps Problem

Green Achers

Has anyone else noticed problems in opening PQ's and/or uploading PQ's to a device (GPS/PDA)?

I've found a few PQ's appear to freeze in process. Since the problem repeats at the same place each time, I was able to investigate. It turns out there are a couple caches that always mess up GPSBabel, SimpleGPS, MagWayMan, etc. If I delete the problem cache from the group, everything works prefect.

I'm sure there are other caches and I don't think there's anything wrong with these... but here's the caches I found always mess up my transfers. GC5E7, GCG3QD, GCEFBC, GCAE42. What am I missing that's interfering. Could it be an illegal symbol for the transfer program?

Anyone is always welcome to send me (the chief Babel-head) a pocket query containing anything that the current GPSBabel doesn't handle correctly to have me cast my scepter of judgement upon it.

I'll tell you from a year of experience with over 18,000 GPSBabel users and a trainload of bad PQ data that 95% of the PQ's we can't read are because of geocaching.com defects that they have been (slowly) working to eliminate with another 4% being defective markup in the cache page itself with 1% being GPSBabel problems that are fixed almost on the spot.

That said, I just created a PQ of caches around GC5E7, fed it to both the validator and to GPSBabel and couldn't readily spot any problems, so being specific with the behaviour you're seeing would be helpful.

Thanks Robert,

I'm sorry to say I didn't give you feedback. I discovered the problem while trying out MacSimpleGPS and in isolating the source, realized it was something wrong in the caches. Since this invloved several programs, I brought it here.

I will forward my two feedback messages that I provided to MacSimpleGPS and provide any more information you need via email. :P