Caching On A Mountain Bike

TGDU

As a relative newbie (20 caches in the first month), our need for info is based on the fact that most of our caching is done on a bike. I have, after much delay, obtained the handlebasr mount for my GPS 72; what a bonus - placed on the tri bar set up, it is perfect for both access and safety.

So, what about batteries? usual alkaline ones seem to fail after a day, even using battery saving mode. The normal rechargable ones have a lesser voltage (1.2 compared to 1.5) does this have an impact on there ability to power a GPS unit?

Before I shell out AUD$, I am keen to hear of others that are caching away from the good old 12V supply.

Cheers

Gregs

TGDU

South Australia

Battery life is an issue for me, too. When I ride with my GPS, whether it be caching or touring, I generally use my GPS only when I need it. Otherwise, I'd be using two sets of batteries a day.

I've considered rigging a system to use a lighting system battery, but I'm not sure it's worth carrying all that extra weight.

To answer your question about rechargables. For the most part, you'll find rechargables have a shorter life than alkalines, but the 1.2/1.5 volt difference doesn't matter.

Jamie

I often drive around all day long with my GPS hooked to my laptop via the data cable, so I have to run off battery power, since I don't have a combo cable. I use NiMH rechargeables, and generally get about a day out of a set. Usually running 9-11 hours a day....

(off topic, before anyone suggests getting the combo cable, I thought about it, but for other reasons, I'm hoping to soon have a Delorme Earthmate USB GPS, so I won't be worrying about batteries...or the serial-usb adapter i'm currently using crashing my computer.....)

NiMh AAs are made up to 2300MaH capacity now, and there is no way an alky is gonna out power them. I use AA NiMh batteries with adapters in My D size MagLites, and they are super. Also in My digital cameras.

Call it $20.00 bucks including tax at Walmart for an 8 pk, and if You only get 10 recharges out of them You are way ahead, but some of mine are 3 or 4 years old now and still going. In a normal trip, I have devices holding over 20 AAs in the Jeep, figure what I would pay for throwaway alkys. :unsure:

Interesting link

http://www.greenbatteries.com/documents/battery_myths.htm

Edited by tsiya

Well...I use a E-trex Vista and I have mine mounted on my mtb, using the RAM system. With a fairly fresh set of alkaline batteries...I can be out all day without having to worry about it. Plus...I ALWAYS carry at least one extra set of batteries in my Camelbak, anyway. It's really no big deal to me to change them out...if I need to.

Energizer Max AA Battery - 4 Pack

Retail Price: $5.05

Sale Price: $3.59 .80 each

You Save: $1.46 (29%)

8 pk Energizer 2300MaH NiMhWalmart

$17.85 $2.42 each, recharge 10 times, 24.2 cents each, recharge 100 times, 2.42 cents each, and so on.

It is possible for NiMh batteries to live for 1000 cycles, which means that millions of dead alky batteries do not go into the ecology as waste, and I have more money to spend on more toys! <_<

Edited by tsiya

Yup, everybody says NiMH rechargables, and I noticed that one battery expert says top the charge, don't wait to drain the bat. My NiMH go a few days of heavy caching, then they die very suddenly. I carry 8 bats extra for the GPS, camera, and flash. When I'm camping, I take the Lithiums. They last a long time (days to a week), they handle cold, and when they go low there's still enough energy to hump through the tree cover to get to cache.

Recently got myself a Rail Mount for the same model GPS. Garmin GPS 72. Great GPS and great little rail mount.

Recently I've just be taking along an extra two sets of rechargable batteries. Defaintely lasting the day. Come home and charge them up.

Now it's worth dropping an extra 2 sets of batteries in your pocket as with rechargable batteries they make not charge properly and not power the device. Had this happen a few times already. Drop freshly charged batteries into the GPS and straight off get the 'Battery Low' warning. Also note, that batteries can discharge just from sitting there doing nothing :(

Should look at getting a charger with home and car plugs. I found a great charger for my Digicam and any other devices. 2000+MaH rated and has home and car charger. Can't think of the price or the place i bought it atm thou...

Oh the Solar Panel charger thingo. It's not the iSun Solar Panel is it? Looked into one of these a while ago for a trip I was planning up North Western Australia. Looks like a great little gadget.

Also going to try and figure out the best way to mount my PDA to the bike for paperless Caching. Already got power sorted for GPS and PDA in car, but not the bike...

Edited by Skit & majik

Oh the Solar Panel charger thingo. It's not the iSun Solar Panel is it? Looked into one of these a while ago for a trip I was planning up North Western Australia. Looks like a great little gadget.

Accualy I have two systems I have a MERCURY SYSTEM 11-115and two Solarex sx-30 (Unbreakable LITE). They Produce aprox 1.8 amps at aprox 15 to 18 volts I run them thru an equlizer and get about 1.5 amps. On a clear day I get About 30 watts (with the Solex system) When I lost my Drivers licenseI had two sealed Gel Cell 6 volt batteries mounted in my bags. so when I road at night I used Quartz headlight it was as bright as day. I also had a am fm portable CD player that ran off it Nescessity is the mother of invention

Just some of my learnin