Sunday Suggestions

OzGuff

I will be back in London on the 27th of March for another week. I plan/hope to find any central London caches I missed (or DNF) on the Saturday but would like to take a day trip on Sunday to somewhere else. This "somewhere else" would ideally have a high cache density and not be too far from London. I will be using public transportation (that is, National Rail) to get from London to somewhere else, and then pounding the pavement once I arrive. I don't see any cache events so will be doing this solo.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks Lois! I used the geocacheuk.com site to plan my initial visit to central London. The map is good, but spots on a map don't necessarily tell me much about the area. For instance, it appears as if the Berkshire area has a number of caches clustered relatively closely together. (For instance, the Sunninghistory and SP series.) However, are these areas open on Sundays? Is it reasonable for one to walk from cache to cache in these areas? Or will I be chased off by territorial land-owners?

I'm basically looking for somewhere close-ish to London that I can get to/from by train that has 15-20+ caches in relatively close proximity. And if someone could place a whole bunch of virgin caches a few days before I arrive... ;) And if someone else could keep Seasider up north for the duration of my trip... ;)

I don't ask for much... :(

Thanks!

I figured if I was looking for a day of caching why not replicate one of Seasider's multi cache days. Seasider was in the Hertfordshire area on December 16th and managed to find a mere 25. I may try to emulate this day with a few new caches thrown in.

Hey Seasider..... Do you remember how many miles you put on the car that day? I may have to rent a car rather then walk. How much money am I willing to spend on caching? Apparently more!

I would go with Chris N Maria's suggestion about Epping Forest. A few months ago I made a day trip up there with a friend, and did 10 caches in about 8 hours. The unfortunate thing is that it involved 10 miles of walking (mostly through the beautiful forest, though) and we hadn't brought enough food. Look at my logs for 14 December 2003 and you can plot a course like we did from one tube station to another.

Of course, there must be a better way of doing 10 caches with less walking, but the cache density of Epping Forest attracted us.

Tom

Chris n Maria and Perthos:

I'm thinking that I might do the Epping Forest area on a half-day sometime in the future. I know that it isn't (all) about the numbers but if given the choice between an area where I can find 20-25 and an area with 10-12 I will probably choose the 20-25 area.

But thanks for your suggestions! It is never too early to plan a future cache outing!!

OzGuff

Hey Seasider..... Do you remember how many miles you put on the car that day? I may have to rent a car rather then walk. How much money am I willing to spend on caching? Apparently more!

I don't note mileage but at a guess about 75 miles - however I started and finished at a hotel just outside watford so you will have to add on the journey from your hotel in the city.

Cheers!

Seasider

And if someone else could keep Seasider up north for the duration of my trip... <_<

I've been working out my route to the millenium and there are enough caches in the northern counties of England & Wales so I won't be troubling you southern softies again for a while! :D:blink:

Cheers!

Seasider