GPS Units

littlered

Hey,

I was in the same position you are in right now about a week ago. IMO if you don't care for mapping go with the Garmin Etrex or Magellan 315. Both of these are great for hiking and relativly inexpensive when compared to mapping units. I like the etrex because the batteries last for 20 hours, where on the 315 you'll get 15 hours on two AA's. Personally I bougth the magellan 330x because I wanted mapping. If you have any questions regard the 330x I be more than happy to answer them for you.

Hello LittleRed and welcome to geocaching. Our forum could probably help you more if we knew what your needs are. If you want an excellent unit for geocaching and mapping which will give you turn by turn directions with street names, etc, go for the Garmin GPS V. About $360.00 now on Ebay. On the other end of the scale, a simple yellow Etrex will only set you back about $110. at Walmart but it does not do much more than point you in the right direction. A lot depends on what you will expect to do with the unit and how much you are willing to pay for one. Good Luck

Our family has be 'caching over the last six weeks and have gotten good service from the plain yellow Etrex. It's fun, we could easily figure out how to use it, and so far we've gotten to every cache.

We got a good deal at Best Buy since it was a floor model that still qualified for warranty. I'm sure that other models/manufacturers have plenty to offer, too. But for $80 we've had a lot of fun!

Good luck in your choice!

I started out with the original e-trex, which is a great unit. It is compact and inexpensive. I later upgraded to the e-map. It has some mapping features and is still nicely compact.

After you have checked out your local stores and the online sites (to determine what pricing should be) check out e-Bay. Lots to look at!