How To Find Caches Along A Route?

kneadmorecache

Help a new guy!! I'm taking the bride for a ride and want to do a little geocaching

along the way....we are planning on driving the Natchez Trace the end of March and wonder if there is a way to line up waypoints along a route?? Thanks for any suggestions

tom

Kneadmorecache

jonkertbTAKE ME FOR A WALK@tds.net

:) SORRY...thought I had exhausted the FAQ...found something in the additional FAQ file

but I'll take other ideas?!?! :)

Edited by kneadmorecache

I wish there was a simple way to get this info from the site. My method is slightly different now that the new PQ page is up and running:

Obtain PQs covering the entire trip. This can be a pain and may take some tweaking. Being able to run these live on the site will make it easier to tell that you are getting what you need, but you will want the files that are sent to you to do the following voodoo to.

Use GPSBabel to convert the gpx files to a format that MS S&T can use.

Open the files in MS S&T and choose the points (manually) to be included in your route. Optimize the route.

Print out a copy of the route.

Upload the gpx files to your palm using GPX Spinner and Plucker.

You now have a printout of your route including each cache you wish to visit. You also have all of the caches (and more) in your palm for viewing in the field.

The only thing left to do is load the points to your gps. Depending on the length of your journey (or more precisely the number of caches you wish to visit), this may be easy or cumbersome.

I typically use EasyGPS to pare down the files by lat/long limits and upload the files to my GPSr. Alternatively, you could identify the individual caches on your list and upload these.

Laptop users could certainly take their laptop on the trip (most do anyway) and upload the different gpx files on the fly. This is the best option as it allows you to load detailed maps for your entire trip in addition to having over 500 caches (and other waypoints) to choose from.

My way certainly isn't simple, but it gets the job done.

There is always the extremely non-technical option of opening your state map, and following the route you plan on taking. The map will show all caches along the route, which you can then click on to identify. Depending on how long of a drive it is going to be, this is sometimes a quicker option.

In Europe we can use the PDA route navigation system TomTom to do the trick. Convert the waypoints from the caches to Points of Interest and add these to TomTom. Now, while driving along you route, your PDA will shout to you when you het nearby a cachelocation.

I read that TomTom is also available now in the US...