Weather Archive?

SamLowrey

Is there any website where you can find recent weather by zip code (or at least region)? Sure, there are plenty of sites telling you forecasts and present conditions. But if you are heading out on a caching trip, you don't want to discover the land is too muddy (that made me think of something, footprints in the mud right to the cache - that would be bad for other reasons, too. :huh: ). I don't see an "archive" at weather.com. It is a shot in the dark, but are there other sites that might have that info - even if it is just for the past week?

In other words, all I really need is rainfall in the recent past by region or something like that.

Edited by SamLowrey
I use NOAA for most of my outdoor info. There, you can find stream levels, recent weather histories, averages, etc. (as well as forcasts and many live radar and satellite images). :huh:

Thanks. That might work. I see a precipitation map for the whole US and you can see different regions. I was just thinking there had to be a site out there where you punch in a zip code and it had the exact amount of precipitation for whatever day. I just checked out the Farmer's Almanac site - the most recent info was for Dec 20 '03. ALMOST, but not quite what I was looking for. So close....

I would just expect this info to be useful to hikers and other outdoorsmen, so I figured it is availible somewhere.

In many areas the National Weather Service Forecast Office can provide an online “gridpoint forecast” service. You just enter latitude and longitude in decimal degrees (i.e. 38.75 -94.23) and receive the targeted current conditions, detailed seven day forecast, radar and satellite images, and local weather alerts. Here is a link to the Indianapolis, Indiana Office's GridPoint Service:

NWS Interactive GridPoint Forecast

I often enter a link on my cache page to the local "gridpoint forecast" weather infromation and if the cache is located along a river, I enter a link to the USGS Gaging Station and the NWS Hydrologic Prediction Service. Here are links to a few such cache pages:

Wap-hanne Cache

Lonsome Railroad Cache

Kikthawenund Cache

Edited by greengecko