Magellan 315 Lead Required

You could try to make one. I did and it does not need any electronic knowledge or soldering skills if you are not that way inclined.

First find an old serial mouse with a nine pin plug and cut the lead off at the mouse end. For data exchange you only require three wires, the first job is to identify the wires.

Pin 2 = Data out

Pin 3 = Data in

Pin 5 = Signal ground

For the next part I used the plastic shell cover from a 25way D plug and made some contacts in the pattern of the studs on the rear of your gps. I used screws and fitted nuts on the screws to connect the wires. You can make a template by holding a piece of paper over the back of the GPS and rubbing with a pencil.

These are the connections on the back of the GPS

. .Power in(+ve) O......O Signal Ground

. ..........Data in O..........O Data out

The screw to hold the connector to the GPS is the same thread as the D plug retaining screws which hold a plug to the connectors on the ports of your computer.

If you want to apply external power to your GPS do not exceed 3.6 volts although manufactured power/data leads have a 12v car cigarette lighter plug there is a voltage regulator box in the lead.

Hope this helps, have fun.

adrianjohn

Edited by adrianjohn

Hey buddy, I have one you can barrow, but I am in Texas. I think by the time you figure shipping back and fourth, you would only spend a few extra dollars to own one. I could not find anyone with a cable either, so I had to buy mine. Ebay is the quickest way. Expensive, but you will find it. I have not found it for sale anywhere in Dallas, or on the internet other than Ebay. And trust me, I hate Ebay. But sometimes we have no choice.

I do have a 315 for sale that has the firmware upgrade, if you might be interested in another unit? You can email me JnDallas@yahoo.com

-J