Log Length Limit

Jamie Z

In the olden days, when all caches were counted equal, I only logged my containerized caches as finds. Virtuals and event caches (and one regrettable locationless) were logged as notes.

The day came when cache categories were separated. Hence I went back to change my virtual and event cache notes into finds. (that dumb locationless still gets a note)

I've run into a problem. I attempted to change my log on this event cache from a note to a find. No other changes at all, but it won't accept my log. I got an error message that my log was over the 4000 character limit.

What I've surmised happened is that the log length limit used to be higher, so when I try to edit this log, even though it's no longer than it ever was, the site won't resave it. Any way to fix this? Can my experience at this wonderful event ever be counted as a find?

Why again is there a log length limit?

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Good suggestions, both of them, but awkward workarounds.

I just can't understand why a log I posted previously can't be edited.

If I recall correctly, I had to pare it a bit just so I could fit my log into one entry in the first place. I've done the log + note routine on other occasions, and I don't care for it.

I'd just like to know why I can't edit a previously saved log.

Jamie

I'll see if I can bump up the text so you can edit it. 5,000 characters is the actual limit, I believe.

Why? The field is such that it can be searchable at that size. Unfortunately I haven't made it searchable yet but that is/was the idea. Also, you have to limit it somewhere, though I do like reading through the more lengthy logs.

I'll see if I can bump up the text so you can edit it. 5,000 characters is the actual limit, I believe.

Why? The field is such that it can be searchable at that size. Unfortunately I haven't made it searchable yet but that is/was the idea. Also, you have to limit it somewhere, though I do like reading through the more lengthy logs.

J,

Thanks for the note and the info. I think sometime a while ago, you mentioned the 5000 character limit; now I'm glad I have an explanation.

Jamie

[edit] I just tried to edit, and it seems you haven't gotten to looking into this. No big whoop, as I'm an awfully patient guy, but it reminded me of something I wanted to add to my original post:

The first time I tried the edit, I got a custom made page telling me that my log exceeded the 4000 character limit. I tried to edit a few more times (including just a few minutes ago) and each subsequent time I get this:

"Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: String or binary data would be truncated.

The statement has been terminated.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +180

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.ExecuteNonQuery(String sql, Database database) +135

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlWaypointController.SaveLogData(Int64 LogID, Boolean OwnerCannotDelete, DateTime DateVisited, Boolean IsEncoded, Int64 LogTypeID, String Note, Uri Url, Int64 WptRefID, Boolean IsArchived, Double Latitude, Double Longitude, WptDataSources Datasource) +1340

Groundspeak.Web.GPX.WptLog.Save() +220

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.EditLog() +1043

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.LogButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +105

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1304

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573 "

and not the cleaner page with the simple explanation.

I dunno if that's any indication what's going on, but that's what happens.

Edited by Jamie Z