Meridian Battery Terminal Problems...??

RobRee

we recently purchased a meridain marine GPSr and it had broken battery terminals. it had a very tight fit and looked as if the terminals got bent somehow. we returned it and the next one had same problem when salesman put batteries in. once the terminals are bent, the device will not power up.

we returned the marine and now have a gold.. the terminals are alright, but are the same type as the marine ones.

has anyone else has, or have you seen this problem before??

thanks in advance.

robbie

When I first got my Meridian, I messed up the flat terminal on the right side (looking from the back.) I had to open up the GPSr (take all the screws out.) The terminals on that side are sprung against the PC board and if they are bent, they move off the small pad on the PC board. Fixed it and have not had a problem since. Just put batteries in and out carefully: Putting in; flat side(negative end of the battery) in first and push the spring before pushing in the positive side. Taking out, slide over to compress the spring and pull out the positive side first.

Edited by EScout

Yep. It is a quality control problem and has been the bane of the Meridian series. That and the contact points from the battery compartment to the circuit board. Some of them were pressure contacted between the compartment and the circuit board and sometimes the compartment would shake loose requiring the contact points to be soldiered with a small piece of wire.

thanks for the info guys. at least i'll know when the symptoms arise. the merigold was a freebie.. actually made money on the deal. got the marine as a present.. returned it and took the gold for 65$ cheaper.. bought a 128 card for 40$ and installed streets and destinations. like it alot.

maggie shows their sloppiness in case design and overall design again.. hmmmm. the only saving grace is they have an amazing replacement policy.

robbie