I Want To Learn More About My Gps

Beau44

This is my first post to Groundspeak. I have been going though and reading alot of the posts and it is awesome what I am learning about Geocaching and Using a GPS. What I want to know is there any good books out there or other websites that can help me learn to use a GPS better.

I guess I should backup a little I bought Magellan Sportrak Map GPS Along with a case, power supply, and the Mapsend Software. The software was something I was going to wait to buy another time but, The local electronic's store had it marked down from $150 to $99 then a $50 rebate. I thought it was a great deal. I don't think my wife really thought it was. ( Or maybe it was all the money I have wrapped up in my GPS?)

Anyway, I bought a book from the book store called "GPS MADE EASY." I am just about all the way though the book and it has not shown or taught me anything that I hadn't already knew from reading the owners manual that came with the GPS.

I guess what I am trying to say is I feel I am not getting the most out of my GPS. In reading other people's posts it seems like there is more that can be done with a GPS than what I am doing with it.

I guess I am asking for some help in finding out some good sources for learning about GPS operation and navigation.

I have not when out on a Geocach as of yet but I am hoping to try to do one that is in may area that I have been reading about.

I thought when I bought my GPS I new a lot about navigation but, now I am finding out that I don't know near as much as I thought I did. Is this common with a first time GPS purchase or am I the only one that thought I knew alot about it?

So any suggestions for books to read or Websites Would be great.

GPS Outfitters (gpsoutfitters.com) makes a great video on the Magellan Sportrak, it's sort of a video manual, but it also has some things that the manual doesn't really tell you.

You can probably get it wherever you got your GPS, if not, try some sporting goods/hunting stores that sell GPSrs, and if all else fails, you can buy it from their website.

Heck, I think amazon might even have it...

I'm impressed that you went ahead and read the manual. Many new users don't.

Take a look at the links provided. They will help. The best thing, however, is just getting out there and having fun with it. Waypoint your house and walk around the block. Play around with the different features.

Everybody should get to know their unit.

Edited by sbell111

Thanks for all the input plus, the websites and book suggestion. I was surpised that I read the whole manual too, I didn't have anything better to do at the time.

I think reading the manual had something to do with working on airplanes for a long time. We were supposed to have the manual out and using it no matter what we were working on.

Tomorrow I am going to take my 8 1/2 year son out on are first try at finding a cach. I have found several locations listed on the geocaching website that are in my area. I am really looking foward to getting out and seeing what I can do. My son has taken an interest in the GPS also. He catches on pretty fast with anything that is electronic.

I have one more question. I have the MapSend Streets and Destinations USA, would It be worth my money to go ahead and buy the MapSend Topo Map? They had a $50 rebate on it plus the $99 sale price.

I plan on using the GPS for fun like geocaching, hiking, fishing, and boating and also for traveling.

I have one more question. I have the MapSend Streets and Destinations USA, would It be worth my money to go ahead and buy the MapSend Topo Map? They had a $50 rebate on it plus the $99 sale price.

I plan on using the GPS for fun like geocaching, hiking, fishing, and boating and also for traveling

I prefer the topo for geocaching and it's great for hiking too. It is OK for traveling, but Streets and Destinations is better for that application.

I like topo because though your GPS shows you where the cache is, it doesn't tell you if there is a ravine, stream, cliff or mountain between you and the cache. Topo does. It can also save time by starting you out on the correct bank of a winding river.