Gpsbabel Front-end For Mac Os X

JeremyA

Hi,

I have been working on a graphic interface for gpsbabel on Mac OS X. I have many (but not all) of the features of gpsbabel implemented with what, I hope, is an easy to use interface.

So far, from the available set of gpsbabel features, it can do:

- convert between GPX, LOC and Cetus file formats

- combine many files (in any of the above formats) into a single file

- remove duplicates, filter by distance, filter along an arc or within a polygon

- upload of waypoints to Garmin and Magellan GPS receivers

- download of waypoints or track logs from Garmin and Magellan GPS receivers

A beta is available at: http://www.jfatherton.co.uk/MacGPSBabel/. It is open-source, so the source files are available there too.

I would appreciate any constructive comments or suggestions.

thanks,

JeremyA

Until Garmin sends me a 60C (or simulator) and documentation on their USB protocol (which is highly unlikely on both grounds as they've been downright rude to my development partner requests and they can't even get the documentation on their serial protocol up to date) GPSBabel won't support Garmin USB.

It's thus quite likely that users of OS/X, Linux, UnixWare, Solaris, and other OSes will have to stay on the serial port.

Until Garmin sends me a 60C (or simulator) and documentation on their USB protocol (which is highly unlikely on both grounds as they've been downright rude to my development partner requests and they can't even get the documentation on their serial protocol up to date) GPSBabel won't support Garmin USB.

It's thus quite likely that users of OS/X, Linux, UnixWare, Solaris, and other OSes will have to stay on the serial port.

That's a serious bummer. Although I would think it would definitely be in Garmin's interest to get out support for their USB interface so lots of programs support it, wouldn't it?

Do you have a contact at Garmin? Maybe I should email them and express my wants.

Do you have a contact at Garmin? Maybe I should email them and express my wants.

No. Numerous emails trying to get developer information on their products have invariably been routed to their sales department that responds with lists of dealers in my area. I've basically never gotten anywhere with them.

Magellan, OTOH, actually has very nice documentation available for both their Mapsend file format and their serial protocol and keeps both stable over product lines and over time. Yes, you have to ask for those things and the first level support generally won't give them out, but they are availble if you ask nicely enough.

Can you guess which brand causes me more headacle in GPSBabel?