Any Opinions On The Geco 301

Hikinsolo

Does anyone have information on the Geco 301... good or bad? I'm a beginner and would like to buy my first unit. Have used a borrowed legend and am looking at buying the vista or the Geco 301. I like small lightweight gear for backpacking...but wish the best reception possible.

I'm loving this stuff

meadowbug

Edited by meadowbug

If you like the small size and low weight, go for the geko. That's why it is designed like it is.

"Reception" is a tricky issue. Some people will swear by a particular antenna type or brand, but for the general purposes of something like geocaching, the differences aren't all that dramatic.

If you're really concerned about reception, you might want to consider a unit that allows an external antenna connection (which could be a big issue if you want to use it in certain vehicles that have windows that inhibit the GPS signal).

George

In the past, I've owned a basic eTrex, a Legend, a Geko 201, a Rino 110 and a Rino 120, so I've had a fair amount of experience with the varieties out there. Here's my take on it:

If you want a very BASIC GPS, get the Geko 201. The 301 adds a compass and altimeter, both of which seem fairly pointless IMO (especially since anytime you're going to be off-trail in the woods, you should always have a regular compass as backup for the GPS anyway).

If you plan on using the GPS for driving around, or anything more than just basic "point me to the cache," then save up your money and get a unit with mapping capabilities. The Legend is a good bet. If you're feeling spendy, the GPSMap 60C is your best choice. It's what I'm getting next.

I do a lot of hiking also so I understand the weight issue. The Vista will add an ounce or two over the Geko 301. That doesn't seem much to most people, but to a serious backpacker, an ounce or two can mean a lot over the course of time. The antenna's are basically identical for both the Geko and Etrex lines. You can get a Garmin 72 or Sportrak which has perhaps a better antenna but you also gain more ounces.

One thing also to remember is using a GPSr with an electronic compass will cut down battery life by about 40 percent, so you will have to carry more batteries on a long backpacking trip = more weight. For example a Vista will average 12 hours battery life, the Legend 18 hours.

Source: http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/a...ecomparison.htm

Happy trails and Cheers,

Blake

And the 60C is listed on Garmin's site at 30 hours on 2 AAs. Another nod in its direction.

Assuming it really meets that spec. Some of us want to actually try it before we belive it - especially considering that it has a color screen.

For a small lightweight unit, a Geko 201 or 301 is fine, but do carry spare rechargeable batteries.

I just got a new Geko 301 and I love it...The compass is much more than that especially with the "sight and go" feature which keeps you on track if you are backpacking or hiking.

The altimeter is great for elevation gains and losses...again, if you are backpacking mountains this could be an added feature with no added weight.

I have a rhino 110 and I thought that screen was small. The geko 301 is compact and the smaller screen does not seem to be a hinderance for me.

I did track myself from work to home and it did a great job in the car, cannot wait to get it out in the wilderness on a treasure hike!

CG

Edited by CycleGuy
Does anyone have information on the Geco 301... good or bad? I'm a beginner and would like to buy my first unit. Have used a borrowed legend and am looking at buying the vista or the Geco 301. I like small lightweight gear for backpacking...but wish the best reception possible.

I'm loving this stuff

meadowbug

If you want good reception, forget the Gekos and the E-Trex line, You do not want a Patch antenna. Look into the Magellan sport track Map. These have better antennas and you will get better reception with them. I have used Gekos and E-trex models in the feild anlong with Magellan and have had better luck with the Magellan. You might also look at the Garmin Map 76. If you ever want to load data to or from your GPS with a computer the mapping versions include the data cables the non mapping do not (Cables are around $38.00 as options) THis make the mapping version a better buy. Another nice feature in the Magellan, there software includes steet names and terrain profiles, Garmin does not.

If you want good reception, forget the Gekos and the E-Trex line, You do not want a Patch antenna. Look into the Magellan sport track Map. These have better antennas and you will get better reception with them. .

Before you take such advice about antennas, consider that most external antennas that attach to your GPS are the patch variety. Seems funny people would need to do that if patches are so inferior.

George