New One Rhino 130 Or Gpsmap60cs

thcri

Right now I have an Etrex Vista that I think I have sold. I have been reading so much on the New GPSmap60cs and am excited about gettting one. However, my friends put a wrench in my gears as they are all going to buy Rhino's 120. We do a lot of 4 wheelin in the woods together and I can see where the Rhino's would be nice but I just don't go wheeling with my GPS. My daughter and I have really gotten into Geo-Caching and I think the GPSMap60cs would be the way to go. Can a few of you guys out there give me some pointers in which way to go? I have found very little information on the GPSMap60cs and none on the new Rhino 130.

Thanks for all your adice.

murph

Hmm.... If I knew I wouldn't be using my GPS with friends, then I wouldn't bother with the Rino. But since all your friends are getting them... I'd think about it.

But to tell you the truth... You guys should be running regular CB's when you are offroading. Yes typically you will be within sight of your buddies so you don't need long range.... but if you run into problems, you want the 4ft Firestick and Cobra to call for help.

But to tell you the truth... You guys should be running regular CB's when you are offroading. Yes typically you will be within sight of your buddies so you don't need long range.... but if you run into problems, you want the 4ft Firestick and Cobra to call for help.

I don't disagree, but remember the Rinos are more then just a GPS and a radio in the same case. It can transmit the position from one unit to another. If you never leave sight from each other, then there's not much point, but with the Rino 130 you can hit a button and find out where your friend is - right on your GPS screen.

If everyone else was getting something other then a Rino, then I'd say it doesn't matter. But if the friends have commited to getting them, then I think you'd be smart getting one too - otherwise you'll never hear the end of it. The point of a Rino is being able to work as a team. Nothing else will do it.

I guess it boils down to where I use my GPS more. I love Geo-caching with my daughter, so that is a plus for the 60cs. I like using my Gps when traveling, that is another plus for the 60cs. The only time the Rhino would be handier is with my wheelin buddies. We typically run the same area so if I get lost, I can find my way back to the cabin or to a waypoint. I love making maps of where I have been, the Rhino 110/120 was not good for that but the 130 would be?? Well I guess I just have to listen to some more ideas and I do have time to think. I will get my Vista on E-bay next week.

murph

I am using a Rino 120 now and I love it. I went caching with some from last week who also have Rinos. My wife had to feed our baby so she had to stay in the car. We left one of the units with her and she could track where we were on the hunt. A virtual hunt for her so to speek. Also the ability to send waypoints is a super cool function.

The 60Cs sound pretty cool. The geocahing stuff on it already exist on my Palm M100 ($40 dollars off of E-bay). Cachemate does all of that and more($7). Garmin needs to raise the bar a little higher if they really want to make a unit geocahing specific. As far as i can see the only thing this unit has going for it is a flashy color screen, mucho memory, USB port (needed to fill all of that memory up), increased battery life. If you want to give me one then I will gladly take it but the price is a little much for me. Sound like the words of a North Carolina State Employee who has not had a raise in 3 years.

I would purchase the Rino.

I love making maps of where I have been, the Rhino 110/120 was not good for that but the 130 would be??

What's wrong with the Rino? I think most any GPS unit will record tracks so you can download them to a PC later. Making maps is more of a function of your PC software then of the unit (as far as I know). The Rino 120 is a mapping unit I think some have compared it to an eTrex with a radio. (sorry, I forget which model - the Legend?)

OK, after comparing things on Garmin's site, it looks like the Rino 120 is a eTrex Legend with a radio and the Rino 130 will be a Vista with a radio. It won't hold as many waypoints, but the tracklog is 10,000 and I think that's what you want for making maps.

Looks like the main thing you'd be loosing over the 60 is a big color screen and 56MB of memory. Ouch.

Edited by GeckoGeek

Get both, or get a Rino 130 and a GPSmap 60C.

Then both you and you daughter can have a GPS.

Personally I would get the Rino 130 over the 120 or 110 for the NOAA weather radio. I use a seperate Midland weather radio when I'm away from the weather channel or the internet for more than 24 hours.

Also being an off-roader, I find that I carry both a gps and frs radio. I just ordered my rino 120 because of this. One less item to keep track of. Here's my reasoning, when quading with the kids, we use the ear buds in our helmets, and vox capabilities for communication with each other. The gps for location in emergency situations. When I need to "reach out" I use my cell phone or ham radio. One less item is an advantage!

Right now I have an Etrex Vista, I believe the Rhino 130 will give me more than the Vista. I think I would be happy with the 130 and maybe even keep my Vista for Geo-Caching? But someone did mention owning a 60CS and a Rhino 130 and I really do like that idea. But money is an issue.

murph