Geocache Christmas Present

anadad

My wife and were trying to figure out a creative way to have my daughter find her Christmas

present (a new car). Here's what happened. My wife knew I'd always wanted to etrex Rhinos and a

subscription to the Sunday New York Times. What a surprise when Christmas morning, I'd opened

up my gift and found an eTrex Rhino. After turning it on, my 16 year old daughter was soon talking to me

from a remote location outside in our yard.

You couldn't imagine the emotions that ran through me knowing that my

daughter must have stayed up for nights trying to understand the

whole concept of GPS and then to learn how to use the eTrex Rhino.

To make things more interesting, she'd programmed the eTrex to lead me

to her. She was outside hiding somewhere in the snow. The eTrex Rhino allows each of the users to see one

another on a map, so I was easily able to find her using the GPS. And in her hands was a copy of the

Sunday New York Times. A double cache!

After returning to the house, I'd thought of an idea. Now that I knew she could work the GPS, I

talked to my wife about arranging an event where my daughter would have to find me to get her

Christmas present. So I'd left the house to swap my pick-up truck for the new car and drove within

a few blocks from the house and then using the walkie-talkie built into the Rhino told her to come and

find me. I crouched down in the car set so she wouldn't see me. It took her about 15 minutes. I'll

never forgot the moment when I heard her voice screaming in excitement

over my walkie-talkie and looking out the window of the car to see her in tears.

the car and seeing her in tears.