Why Was 'closed Topic' Closed?

RJFerret

Would the water cannon have cleared the street

I'm having visions of Stanley Spidowski's Fun House...

In regards to the thread, though... This will prolly be my last post on this subject. Please take the banality elsewhere. Half of what I read in here anymore (not that I've been here that long myself) is griping.

I am not yet a paying customer, but I will be. In the meantime, I do consider myself a guest, and I try to act accordingly - perhaps not always successfully. It is irrelevant whether Jeremy & co. treat me like a guest or customer. The burden lies on me to behave in a reasonable fashion inside thier house.

Someone has kindly created a forum for off-topic discussion. I hope it is successful & well-used. Good luck to you, live long and prosper and all that.

Are the mod's heavy handed? Perhaps. I don't really mind too much. It's not *my* home, I am not responsible for cleaning it when it gets all dirty. The only thing I'm responsible for is making sure I wipe my feet on the doormat so I don't drag any extra dirt into their house. Make use of the new forum, OK? Thank you.

Thanks for listening, I will now shut up about this and go about my business.

Geocaching.com as a web site and service is functional as a free site. All input is encouraged as long as it is constructive.

I think this is where I begin to have a problem. Can you define 'constructive'?

Based on what I have read in your posts your definition is something you personally don't like or don't want to see in 'your' forums.

This is what I percieve as heavy handed and why I feel like a customer being treated like an unwanted guest. Pretty much, we can discuss whatever I like, until you disagree then I'll be kicked out and have my post deleted.

Please prove me wrong, I will gladly appologize publicly.

My guess is that most of the people who are being warned, banned, deleted, etc. have a pretty good idea by now which of their posts are going to get moderated. So why continue posting that stuff? If you don't want the mods to come down on you, don't provoke them. It won't kill you to just let it go sometimes. I know that's a tough thing to do, but it will save you from a good bit of grief in the long run.

My guess is that most of the people who are being warned, banned, deleted, etc. have a pretty good idea by now which of their posts are going to get moderated...

I've had one topic deleted. One closed, and one that pushed the envelope when I replied to some JoeGPS's smack. Out of 4000 posts I don't know if that's good or bad, but I can honestly tell you that I could not tell you the rules to save my life or my next post.

I guess that's a pretty good ratio. I seem to remember being the last poster to a locked thread once or twice, but I'm not sure if I was the sole reason the thread got locked. I have posted to several threads that have been locked eventually. I guess I like to post in the "hot" topics. But I do my best to keep from directly personally attacking anyone, and try to stay on topic as best I can. We all get steamed from time to time when people disagree or dismiss our opinions. I guess refraining from personal insults is the best way to stay out of trouble. There are several instances where I felt I was being attacked, but I can happily say that I have never reported the post of another user, with the possible exception of some guy spamming some ad once. (I have reported a few of my own posts in order to get some of my own threads closed when I thought it was appropriate.)

Most of the cachers I know don't even go to the forums. They prefer looking for caches. I can't help but think these folks are the majority and don't feel any need to revolt or cancel memberships.

I basically read the forums for entertainment. Personally, I'll make a generalization about Mods named Jeremy (not a direct attack, mind you, just like calling people "ankle biters" or "thieves"). In general, the mods I've seen on message boards named Jeremy seem to be quite smug and conceited, and appear to be quite power hungry. Yeah, I've read most of the posts that have been closed, and couldn't really see any reason for it, except that some mods, in general, don't like being told they're wrong and would rather satirically flame people who do post against their authority. My nephew is 4 years old and in daycare. He can't use a computer yet, but he gets "time out". If gc.com goes to a full paysite, I sure as hell ain't gonna pay for it. I've been out of school for about 25 years now, and I won't pay anyone to tell me to take a "time out" for talking out of turn or off topic.

That said, I think I'll go plant me a few caches, download some waypoints, and enjoy myself. I don't work, don't need money, and sure don't need these mods to tell me I'm a criminal for not using the word "geocaching" in every other sentence.

Yup,GEOCACHING figured GEOCACHING that GEOCACHING would GEOCACHING get GEOCACHING me GEOCACHING warned. GEOCACHING 10%. GEOCACHING I'm GEOCACHING heartbroken.

And well deserved it was. You call other people smug, yet your whole post was dripping with conceit and smugness.

Maybe we need to do like that old joke with fortune cookies. Whatever the fortune reads add "in bed" to the end of it.

So you could say something like "Man those vespa scooters are great, for GeoCaching"

Or, "Lighten up Francis, and GeoCache."

Or, "You know Britney Spears is really hot, and GeoCaches."

And well deserved it was. You call other people smug, yet your whole post was dripping with conceit and smugness.

It was? Gee, I had no idea! (There, that covers the sarcasm part, too.)

NOTE: Last attempt to post was deleted, but no reason given. Pretty much similar to this post, only a bit more snide. Mea Culpa.

Yup,GEOCACHING figured GEOCACHING that GEOCACHING would GEOCACHING get GEOCACHING me GEOCACHING warned.  GEOCACHING  10%. GEOCACHING  I'm GEOCACHING heartbroken.

Nothing worse then what Jeremey posts when he gets smug and sarcastic.

NOTE:  Last attempt to post was deleted, but no reason given.  Pretty much similar to this post, only a bit more snide.  Mea Culpa.

Check your private message folder and you should find the message that I sent to you, explaining why I deleted your prior post. I would prefer that these matters be discussed privately. You are the only person who can see your warn meter. I will never publicly announce the level of someone's warn meter. Yet we observe a number of examples where individuals have chosen to do so.

And you're right, the prior version was a bit more snide, which is why it was deleted. You remain entitled to your personal opinion, but you need to express it in a manner which does not personally attack those who disagree with you.

Edited by Keystone Approver

And you're right, the prior version was a bit more snide, which is why it was deleted. You remain entitled to your personal opinion, but you need to express it in a manner which does not personally attack those who disagree with you.

Oh, you mean like the way Navdog replied to mine? I get it now. Thanks for the insight.

PS: Where do I find my personal messages? New messages at top right shows "0".

The difference is that If Navidog was warned then he gets to chose if he tells the world or not. If he doesn't tell then you never know if it happened or not. It's between the warned person and the moderators. we don't air it in public.

No, I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstood me. My question wasn't about warnings being made public, my question was about why my post was deleted for making personal attacks, but Navdog's personal attack against me wasn't.

My original post that was deleted didn't name names like the one that I got warned for. It only made the snide comment that Navdog was pretty sharp for seeing the smugness and conceit I was portraying. Considering Navdog's reply to my post, here's a quote from your message as to why my post was deleted:

I wanted to let you know that I deleted your latest post in the Groundspeak forums in the thread where you were discussing the warning that you received last evening. Warnings really ought to be a private matter between you and the moderators. If you insist on discussing them publicly, please refrain from making additional personal attacks and insults in your posts.

Thank you,

Keystone Approver

I just don't quite understand the difference in my deleted post and his post which seems to me to be a personal attack against me, as well as an attempted insult. (I say attempted, because at my age, I don't get insulted very easily anymore)

My original post that was deleted didn't name names like the one that I got warned for. It only made the snide comment that Navdog was pretty sharp for seeing the smugness and conceit I was portraying. Considering Navdog's reply to my post, here's a quote from your message as to why my post was deleted:

I wanted to let you know that I deleted your latest post in the Groundspeak forums in the thread where you were discussing the warning that you received last evening. Warnings really ought to be a private matter between you and the moderators. If you insist on discussing them publicly, please refrain from making additional personal attacks and insults in your posts.

Thank you,

Keystone Approver

I just don't quite understand the difference in my deleted post and his post which seems to me to be a personal attack against me, as well as an attempted insult. (I say attempted, because at my age, I don't get insulted very easily anymore)

Give it up. If you disagree with the system you get warned. I have collected a few myself including one from Co Admin for being off topic even though he/she is WAY off topic in this thread.. I reported it and I guess CO Admin got it as no reply was ever made.

In short you will loose because it is a screwed up hypocritical system where those that are buddy/buddy with the admins get to do what they please and the new folks get hammered.

Okey dokey. Sorry about that, I got confused. What with Jeremy using different accounts to post and all, I never quite know who I'm talking to. Heck, sometimes even when I'm talking to my wife, I get confused and don't remember who I'm talking to.

Which brings up another related topic: My wife was reading some of the posts last night with me, and our 6 year old daughter asked me what "Charter Throbbing Member" meant. We lied to her and said we don't know, but my wife is a bit of a prude and thinks that is an inappropriate thing to post as a name in a message board. I don't have much of a problem with it, and she's mature enough to just ignore it, but what if another young kid is reading these and sees it? Just curious as to your thoughts on the matter.

I used to host chat rooms for MSN and that nick would definitely not be allowed, not even in the adult rooms.

My original post that was deleted didn't name names like the one that I got warned for.  It only made the snide comment that Navdog was pretty sharp for seeing the smugness and conceit I was portraying.  Considering Navdog's reply to my post, here's a quote from your message as to why my post was deleted:

Thank you,

Keystone Approver

I just don't quite understand the difference in my deleted post and his post which seems to me to be a personal attack against me, as well as an attempted insult.  (I say attempted, because at my age, I don't get insulted very easily anymore)

Give it up. If you disagree with the system you get warned. I have collected a few myself including one from Co Admin for being off topic even though he/she is WAY off topic in this thread.. I reported it and I guess CO Admin got it as no reply was ever made.

In short you will loose because it is a screwed up hypocritical system where those that are buddy/buddy with the admins get to do what they please and the new folks get hammered.

This is a false statement. The post you were warned about, was in a different context that the post I made. you have the reason for your warning in your warn meter file.

Lets keep this thread on topic. if you wish to complain about what you feel is mistreatment please send an E-mail to Approvers@geocacheing.com.

I was looking at the beginnings of this particular thread we're in here, and it started out complaining about why posts were being deleted and threads were being closed. Ya know what? Either the Mods are getting lax, they're enjoying it, or they're actually starting to listen to us. Otherwise this thread would have closed long ago. I hope they're actually starting to listen to us. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, because as I stated in my last post, I was a host for MSN chatrooms, and I know what kind of crap mods and hosts have to put up with. But I never kicked or banned anyone without REALLY good reason.

My original post that was deleted didn't name names like the one that I got warned for.  It only made the snide comment that Navdog was pretty sharp for seeing the smugness and conceit I was portraying.  Considering Navdog's reply to my post, here's a quote from your message as to why my post was deleted:

Thank you,

Keystone Approver

I just don't quite understand the difference in my deleted post and his post which seems to me to be a personal attack against me, as well as an attempted insult.  (I say attempted, because at my age, I don't get insulted very easily anymore)

This is a false statement. The post you were warned about, was in a different context that the post I made. you have the reason for your warning in your warn meter file.

Lets keep this thread on topic. if you wish to complain about what you feel is mistreatment please send an E-mail to Approvers@geocacheing.com.

It was in no way different I made a joke in a thread and someone reported it as being off topic, you deleted half the posts, threw out warnings and created a complete cluster F (fudge) out of everything.

Explain how"hiding a hamster is on topic and why you shouldn't have a warning for being off topic? You are supposed to be the example setter as an admin.

Also what happened to my report (which rug was it swept under)?

Edited by ChrisCindy
Okey dokey. Sorry about that, I got confused. What with Jeremy using different accounts to post and all, I never quite know who I'm talking to. Heck, sometimes even when I'm talking to my wife, I get confused and don't remember who I'm talking to.

Which brings up another related topic: My wife was reading some of the posts last night with me, and our 6 year old daughter asked me what "Charter Throbbing Member" meant. We lied to her and said we don't know, but my wife is a bit of a prude and thinks that is an inappropriate thing to post as a name in a message board. I don't have much of a problem with it, and she's mature enough to just ignore it, but what if another young kid is reading these and sees it? Just curious as to your thoughts on the matter.

I used to host chat rooms for MSN and that nick would definitely not be allowed, not even in the adult rooms.

Charter Throbbing Member is explained thusly:

“Charter” indicates that I’ve paid to support the site. This is a source of great pride for me.

“Throbbing” is for the way my heart throbs with delight when I find another cache.

“Member” indicates that I belong to an organization of geocachers.

Any other interpretation is fudging bullsnot.

Private Discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, use the private discussion feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general community.

“Charter” indicates that I’ve paid to support the site. This is a source of great pride for me.

“Throbbing” is for the way my heart throbs with delight when I find another cache.

Oh, then I could have a name like "Hot Wet Snatch" and it would be okay because when I cache I get hot, then I sweat which makes me wet, and when I see a cache I snatch it?

“Charter” indicates that I’ve paid to support the site.  This is a source of great pride for me. 

Oh, then I could have a name like "Hot Wet Snatch" and it would be okay because when I cache I get hot, then I sweat which makes me wet, and when I see a cache I snatch it?

dadgum I wish I'd have thought of that one.... ;)

“Charter” indicates that I’ve paid to support the site.  This is a source of great pride for me. 

LMAO that is kinda funny.

LMAO that is kinda funny.

But seriously the world isn't sterile and to make it that way would be boring and very 1984ish (George Orwell book). I am not saying that this should turn into a porn site or anything, but you can read something bad in almost anything if you look hard enough.