Shall I Post This Information?

Wintertime

As I mentioned a couple of months ago, I've received a bunch of reports from the USGS about the results of a benchmark search they did in Yosemite in 1986. I have reports for Yosemite Valley, the Wawona/South Entrance area, and points in between.

I thought I might go through the reports, find ones that correlate to benchmarks that are listed on Geocaching.com, and post notes on those pages about the results of the 1986 survey. Unless there's some other important information, I would just post one sentence summarizing the team's findings.

It's fine with USGS for me to post the information; I just wanted to be sure it would be useful to the benchmark hunting community before I did it. Okey dokey?

Patty

These old USGS pages are interesting reading, hey?

I have stuff for my area dating back to the late 1800's and early 1900's. Good thing there Lat and Lon or you would never find them from the desciptions. I was able to only find 3 out of about 50 so far.

fyi

If anyone wonders what SFNF means on the sheets

Searched For Not Found and the year 86

Hi, everyone.

Okay, thanks for the encouragement. I'll post short excerpts from the 1986 reports on the pages of the benchmarks that exist on Geocaching.com, and I'll include a link to Zhanna's page so that folks can find the full report (and the original monumenting reports). I'll do all this after she has the 1986 reports uploaded.

Thanks again to her and to GeckoGeek for their help with scanning and posting the 100+ pages of USGS reports.

And thanks to ElCamino for explaining the "SFNF" designator. I wouldn't have known what it meant had the USGS guy who sent me the reports not explained it! BTW, there are a very few cases where the notation on those pages is incorrect; i.e., when you go to the actual 1986 report, the result is the opposite of what was written in the margins of the old reports. If any of those are among the ones listed on GC.com, I'll make note of it when I post my comments on those pages.

Patty