Yikes, Too Technical

treemoss2

I have searched and read and am learning a little. "gpx files" - Huh?

This is what I have thus far - A Magellen 330 GPS, a Sony SJ22, and state of Colorado Topo! map software. Each of them are seperate.

I do know how to cross waypoints between the GPS and the Topo in my computer.

From what I have read, I can use Plucker to take web pages (i.e. cache pages) and put them in my SJ22. Not sure exactly how this is done.

As far as putting Topo maps into SJ22, no clue on that.

Questions:

Will Plucker enable me to put cache pages into PDA so I do not have to print out those cache pages?

Could I put Topo (within mb limits of PDA) into my PDA?

Is there hardware/software that makes a PDA into GPS? This doesn't seem possible.

Some of the posters here are so far advanced that their posts use lingo that leaves me behind in just decrypting their posts.

I have been crusing around various links and seen Handango/CacheDragon.

I am fascinated by the talent, ability, and possiblities that can be done with all this technology. I just do not know that exact way to proceed.

thanks

Will Plucker enable me to put cache pages into PDA so I do not have to print out those cache pages?

Yes. Plucker is designed to pluck web pages and convert them to .pdb files. Plucker will convert any .txt or .html files to .pdb which can be read on the Palm. I use gpx2html to convert the .gpx files to .html, and then use Plucker to convert them to .pdb files and transfer them to my SD card for use in the woods. They could go into the handheld itself, but I prefer to keep as much as possible on the card. JPluckX is a java-based app to convert files to Plucker format which is somewhat easier to use than the Plucker desktop. You still need the Plucker reader on your Palm. The Plucker files on the Palm work just like .html files on the PC, with links and all. Works very well for me. I carry a small pad of post-it notes in my bag just in case, but I rarely use them, unless I want to leave a note or something in a cache. I carry no other paper & don't see a need for it.

Could I put Topo (within mb limits of PDA) into my PDA?

Maybe. I haven't tried that, you would need software to use the maps.

Is there hardware/software that makes a PDA into GPS? This doesn't seem possible.
You can connect almost any GPSr to a Palm if you have the proper cable. I connect my eTrex Legend to my Palm using the Garmin-supplied PC cable through an adapter I made. I also have a Radio Shack Digitraveler that connects to the Palm. Both connect via the universal connector. You need software on the Palm to use the GPS signals. CetusGPS and cotoGPS are both freeware programs that work, and there are commercial apps also. Mapopolis is probably the best commercial software. You need their maps, which you have to pay for, but you can download trial maps to see if you like them. It's primarily aimed at door-to-door driving on roads, not geocaching, but it can be used for that. cotoGPS is designed mostly for geocaching, & works well for that, except that you have the cable between the GPS and the Palm hanging down & flopping while you push through the brush. Magellan makes a GPS Companion unit that connects directly onto the back of a Palm. I haven't tried it but it seems to work pretty well.

Some of us prefer a program called CacheMate. Use the desktop application of CacheMate to convert the gpx files to PDB. The PDB file will then transfer to your Sony on the next sync. Yes, it will cost you $7 to register it, but the process is much simpler.

By the way, I think Cachedragon is a Pocket PC app and I suspect your Sony is a Palm OS unit.

Note that you must subscribe to Geocaching.com to get GPX files sent to you in email. As a free member all you can get is LOC files, but they don't contain much more then the name and location of each cache.

If you see technical terms you don't understand, ask. We all started somewhere. The language isn't that complex, but it does represent a shorthand for concepts that experienced people know but we will explain them if someone gets lost.

Also, to get a GPX file to test out, you could opt for the monthly membership and just try it out for one month ($3). Once you've paid the $3, then you're allowed to create a Pocket Query, which is what will email you the GPX file based on the criteria you specify (simplest is just to use your home ZIP code, 500 caches, and choose GPX format).

I should warn that the GPX files can be relatively large for a dial-up internet users (2mb), so you should use the .ZIP/compress option for your Pocket Query and use a good uncompression tool once you download the file, like 7-Zip (totally free, unlike WinZip):

http://www.7-zip.org/