Newbie Questions

OzGuff

My wife said that I couldn't go geocaching alone--I rationalized that benchmarking wasn't geocaching--now I benchmark alone.

Anyway, I have recently started searching for BMs (since all the caches in the area were placed be me) and wanted to know what sort of info I should post. Are folks out there doing this because of some higher purpose or just for the hunt. If there is some higher purpose I don't want to screw it up with a lot of "Easy find" logs.

Thanks for any input!

OzGuff

How much information you put in the notes are up to you. If the discription is still current you may just add a "found as described" note. If there has been significant changes to the area but you still find the mark you might mention those changes in your note. It's been discussed before that pictures are not required but they are VERY helpful. I personally do not log a mark unless I have a picture to add to the post.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting.

Like you, I tend to do my benchmarking alone. My kids think it's boring, and although my wife won't admit it, I think it bores her a bit too.

The info that you decide to post depend on what your intentions are with your log. If you're only logging your finds here, they can be as relaxed or formal as you want them to be. If you plan on making reports to the NGS, learn their requirements, and use them accordingly.

Like the ThackPack and GlennA, I do not like to post finds (and some no finds) without pictures. Images make it easier for others to verify (and possibly dispute) your finds and bring a certain amount of validity to your find. I also tend to post some of the satellite conditions and other miscellaneous (and/or boring) data. It's just and O.C.D. I've got. (Maybe someting to do with my formal training.)

When I see that a mark that someone has claimed to have found, and the log says nothing more than 'Yeah, it's there...', with no pics, it really makes me wonder. Caches have a log book we can sign. Benchmarks only have this forum.

I have logged pictures with every benchmark find, but only of the actual benchmark. Would it help to log the surrounding area, or is the description that led me to the location (from NCGS or whomever) sufficient? And to whom does one send info on benchmarks, found or otherwise? I have basically been using it as an excuse to get out into the fresh air!

OzGuff