will airport security let me carry on my GPS?

Guest HomeChicken

Guest HomeChicken

like I was saying in another topic I'm traveling to England in a month and wanted to take my GPS. am I going to have any trouble taking the etrex on the airplane with me? I know before the attacks on sept 11th that it would not be a problem but now? Has anyone taken one on American Airlines since then and should I just pack it away in my luggage or will i be fine taking it wih me with my portable CD player as a carry on?

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

I was part of or placed these Caches

Sun rising over Mt.Rubidoux 3/3

Urban Jungle 3/3

Rising sun over Chicken Coop 5/5

Disneyland Geocaching 1/1

Can You C What I C? 2/3.5

Need to rate your own Cache?

Geocache Rating System

Guest YaesuMan

I have had my GPS on 4 flights now, I was fine on all but the end of one. It really depends on the pilot and the servers and stuff. I might warn you, my GPS would not work unless it was right up at the window. It sure is fun. you know your speed, location, elevation, etc. etc.

------------------

I do radio.

Anything that is radio.

Yes, GPS is radio.

GO HAM RADIO!

I haven't flown with mine since prior to 9/11, but the consensus from those who have is that you can get through security with it - they'll make you turn it on as they do with cell phones and pagers. Using it onboard is a seperate issue. Some are OK with it, some are not. Check with the pilot if possible as most flight crews are OK with it while the flight attendants are not, the difference being crews understand the technology and the attendants are trained to err on the side of caution (ie, if in doubt, say no).

Have a safe trip.

On an Italian airline (Alitalia) the use of any electronic devices is left up to the captian. Everytime I was told I couldn't use my GPS, but I was allowed to use my Handspring Visor. Sounds reasonable since the GPS is a receiver and if the unit was malfuctioning it could cause problems, but so could my Visor. Then...

I overherd one passenger being asked if his potable music player was a tape, CD, or Mini-Disc player. He was told he could not use the CD player because of the laser?!?!?! But a tape player is okay? Who comes up with these rules and do they even bother asking anyone who works in an electronics field?

Also, can anyone here who works security at a US airport tell me exactally why you have people turn on their electronics. What are you looking for? It seems to be an American thing because I've never been asked to turn anyhting on at a European airport.

CR,

I'm not in security, and I've never had airport security ask me to turn on any electronic devices, but I suspect that they are looking for dangerous devices disguised as normal everyday gadgets.

Sending a cell phone through an x-ray machine only demonstrates that the inside is full of electronics. To prove that it is, in fact, a cell phone rather than the detonator to a bomb, they ask you to turn the thing on, so they can see that the phone is really a phone.

Certainly not a foolproof method, but one more hurdle for an "evildoer."

Jamie

(corrected a typo)

[This message has been edited by JamieZ (edited 28 February 2002).]

Guest Geoffrey

You must have your GPS turned on, and showing readouts. Would be good to have it in simulator mode(indoor mode), and show the sucurity person, a couple of screens on the display. A person could have a fake Screen Display on their GPS, with something in the housing that can go BANG, or that there is electronics inside it that was designed to Jam the airplane's cockpit electronics.

So many people are getting skitterish, that it is getting hard to do anything anymore.

------------------

Geoff's GPS Information Page

Geoff's Information on GPS units, and price guide for several units

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 01 March 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by CR:

Also, can anyone here who works security at a US airport tell me exactally why you have people turn on their electronics. What are you looking for? It seems to be an American thing because I've never been asked to turn anyhting on at a European airport.

I've often been asked to demonstrate electronic equipment at European airports; Heathrow is the worst (or best depending how you look at it). They're checking that the whole device isn't a fake (ie fuse or plastic explosive).

I've used my Emap on several flights before and after 9/11, these were British Airways and Quantas. Only got a signal lock at the window. My best speed (so far) is 687.5 mph (Atlantic tailwind) but I'd love to try it on Concorde . .

I've kept this maximum speed on my trip computer readout, it saves arguements with the trouble and strife about my driving speeds!

[This message was edited by Dave & Nicky on March 09, 2002 at 04:02 PM.]

I work Airport security and can answer the question.

Yes GPS devises are allowed on the aircraft, we may ask you to turn it on or do a chemical analysis on it otherwise know as Trace test or swab.

In the airport itself you will probably get little to absolutely no reception for your gps (I know I tried)

You should not use it during take off or landing, and you should have the pilots permission to use it during flight.

until a terrorist uses a gps to target a aircraft (not very likely) they will continue to be allowed

Have a nice flight icon_cool.gif

More to see, More to do

[This message was edited by LoneHowler on January 30, 2003 at 02:20 AM.]

Many cellphones and small electronic devices are actually guns in disguise. Please do a google search for "cellphone guns" to look at a few of the models. I imagine any small device can be fitted with a chamber and barrel to make it able to fire but the electronics would likely have to be removed. If you can't turn the device on, it could be a gun (or maybe some of the other things noted above). Small ink pens also are becoming common as single shot .22 guns. Some of these still write! icon_eek.gif

Since the etrex looks so much like a cell phone, I figure most airport security agents don't know the difference or want to take time to discern the difference. I realize this has nothing to do with the original topic but I thought it might make interesting fodder.

[This message was edited by popupcop on January 29, 2003 at 05:05 PM.]

American doesn't allow you to use GPS in-flight.

It's an ignorant rule but it is a rule. Your only chance is to ask the captain upon boarding if it would be all right with him or her. He's probably more educated about electronics than the yahoo committee members who made the rule.

quote:
Originally posted by HomeChicken:

like I was saying in another topic I'm traveling to England in a month and wanted to take my GPS. am I going to have any trouble taking the etrex on the airplane with me? I know before the attacks on sept 11th that it would not be a problem but now? Has anyone taken one on American Airlines since then and should I just pack it away in my luggage or will i be fine taking it wih me with my portable CD player as a carry on?

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.