DFW Geo-Gathering? (chatty)

Guest Gossamyrrh

Guest Gossamyrrh

I might be coaxed into comming to DFW! I haven't been to Texas in a few years (my ex-in-laws live in Georgetown). Then we could hog-tie T-Storm and take a pic of her!

And Redwoodred...I'm 32, 33 in a few weeks. (Shaddup Mopar...I can hear your thoughts from here..."A lady never reveals her true age...oh wait....")

We will need to drag Mopar out.

Guest VentureForth

Looks like this is going to be quite some event. Let's foil everyone and wear name tags with our REAL names and see if by the pictures and other hints we can figure out their handle. Hmmm.... Sounds like FUN!

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

quote:
Originally posted by Gossamyrrh:

I might be coaxed into comming to DFW! I haven't been to Texas in a few years (my ex-in-laws live in Georgetown). Then we could hog-tie T-Storm and take a pic of her!

And Redwoodred...I'm 32, 33 in a few weeks. (Shaddup Mopar...I can hear your thoughts from here..."A lady never reveals her true age...oh wait....")

We will need to drag Mopar out.

So... I'll head south a few hundred miles, you head north a few hundred, then we both head west. I'm game!

Guest brokenwing

Well, if y'all can pick a date to come out, we'll see if we can setup an event cache to get the locals together! We already have an event scheduled for 3/9 and Clayjar's going to come up from LA so that would be ideal, but I realize that's awfuly soon. If not then, maybe sometime in April / May? The weather (read that temp) shoud be good then. That is the rainy season, but you have to contend with that everywhere. Anyway, it sounds great, I can't wait!

By the way, If any other folks want to come this way then, you're all more than welcome. We can make it an unofficial world geocacher meeting! Jeremy, are you still thinking about making your spring tour?

p.s. for those of you that have no idea what we're talking about, this started with some stuff that was discussed the other night in the chatroom, and continued in the "Pics" thread. If your not stopping by the chatroom, your missing a lot!

------------------

Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

[This message has been edited by brokenwing (edited 15 February 2002).]

Guest T-storm

quote:
Originally posted by VentureForth:

Let's foil everyone and wear name tags with our REAL names and see if by the pictures and other hints we can figure out their handle.

Hmmm... for that to work to my advantage I'd have to leave Geoferret with Grandma, drive an alternate vehicle, and dye my hair a different color. While the first two are possible, I don't think I'm up for a different hair color!

And by the way, T-storm offered up a pic through the chat room last night. Not much of one, granted, but a pic nonetheless...

T-storm

Guest web-ling

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

Hmmm... for that to work to my advantage I'd have to leave Geoferret with Grandma, drive an alternate vehicle, and dye my hair a different color. While the first two are possible, I don't think I'm up for a different hair color!

T-storm

Instead of dropping Geoferret at Grandma's, I'll trade you either Miss Pumpkin or Curly Tiger for her. Then I'll trade the other one for a MissyRileigh kid, and we'll have everyone (including ourselves) confused...

Web-ling

Guest web-ling

quote:

I wondered why someone hadn't bothered to do that already, Webling, but good grief you could have found a more complimentary pic! That's like one of those pictures that catches someone just as they're popping a huge bite of food into their mouth!

Better:

T-storm not in caching mode...

T-storm

Sorry, it was the best one I could find. icon_wink.gif

Is that Geoferret in her pre-geo days?

[This message has been edited by web-ling (edited 15 February 2002).]

Guest web-ling

quote:

I wondered why someone hadn't bothered to do that already, Webling, but good grief you could have found a more complimentary pic! That's like one of those pictures that catches someone just as they're popping a huge bite of food into their mouth!

Better:

T-storm not in caching mode...

T-storm

Sorry, it was the best one I could find. icon_wink.gif

Is that Geoferret in her pre-geo days?

[This message has been edited by web-ling (edited 15 February 2002).]

Guest T-storm

There are other pics of me, you just didn't choose them because they were on my own logs and could have been deleted too fast!

Yes, that's Geoferret, about 9 mos. old, we were close to Gossamyrrh's part of the world at the time...

If geofolks were to descend upon D/FW not only is weather likely to be more pleasant in late April or early May than later, but also for variety could hit the ren faire that runs during that time...

T-storm

[This message has been edited by T-storm (edited 16 February 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

Hail! I say, what's all this about Ren fairs, wot? Performed at one for seven years I did. What a hoot! Ah, and that doth give me further ideas... heh heh heh

I'm guessing Somerset?

Guest brokenwing

VF, see this: http://www.scarboroughrenfest.com/

Basically, there are such renaissance fairs through out the country. They are open to the public and try to recreate the atmosphere of the late middle-ages through the renaissance. People that frequent such fairs and go in period costumes, and those that perform or work for such fairs are commonly referred to as "rennies". For them, it can become a way of life with their lives revolving around the nationwide faire schedule. For others, it's just a fun way to blow off a little steam and escape to the age of chivalry.

We've been to this particular faire several times over the years, (though not in costume) and enjoy it. It's fun for the kids and adults too. There are great performers, merchants with interesting and unique items, and my favorite, the jousting!

The website listed should give you more info.

Thanks.

------------------

Brokenwing

So, where is this chat room?

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

p.s. for those of you that have no idea what we're talking about, this started with some stuff that was discussed the other night in the chatroom, and continued in the "Pics" thread. If your not stopping by the chatroom, your missing a lot!

[/b]

Guest VentureForth

Well, sheesh! Why didn't y'all just SAY Scarbourough Fair?

rumble rumble contractions rummble mumble

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

Guest TresOkies

If this geo-gathering thing gets organized, count me in as highly tentative. (how's that for commitment icon_smile.gif )

It's only a 4 hour drive to DFW. Shorter to FW than Big D. It'll give the wife a chance to spend my money at the malls and maybe I can get in a Rangers game or two if the timing is right. (hint, hint Mar. 29-30, Apr 5-7, Apr 12-14).

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

If this geo-gathering thing gets organized, count me in as highly tentative. (how's that for commitment icon_smile.gif )

It's only a 4 hour drive to DFW. Shorter to FW than Big D. It'll give the wife a chance to spend my money at the malls and maybe I can get in a Rangers game or two if the timing is right. (hint, hint Mar. 29-30, Apr 5-7, Apr 12-14).

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest Gossamyrrh

right now, it looks like me and two freinds from work...one who may be meeting someone at the Faire, and the other someone I'm trying to bring into the geocaching fold. My SO may come, but I don't know if he will cache..

Guest DenaliNW

Not that I'm dsylexic or anything, but everytime I see this topic title, I switch the F and the W, and wonder, what are a bunch of divorced white females doing advertising on this page. I'm not sure why?! Dallas/Fort Worth is a fine area (got family there), and I'm happily married.

Guest web-ling

quote:

There are other pics of me, you just didn't choose them because they were on my own logs and could have been deleted too fast!

Actually, I looked through several of your posts, and couldn't find any pictures of you. (lots of flora, fauna, and Geoferrets, though) I knew there were a couple on the North Texas Breakfast Cache #1 page, so I linked one. Almost posted a picture of someone else and claimed it was you, but didn't eek.gif

Guest T-storm

Alright, fellow caching addicts... Thinking along the lines of late April through early May, but might possilby go a bit later, or one week earlier. If some of us here in Dallas / Fort Worth were to seriously put together a gathering and event(s) specifically to draw folks from out of the area, please offer the following input to help us:

1) If we build it, would you come? From what distance would you have to travel, and would you be most likely to drive, fly, or get here some other way?

2) How many days would you wish to spend in the area? Assume that we'd start with a weekend and add time as necessary to one end or the other.

3) How many events/functions would you want offered, understanding that not every function will suit every person?

4) Would you rather cache with a local, with another from out of town, or on your own?

I'm sure I can come up with more questions, but that would get some thoughts going.

Thanks,

T-storm

Guest TresOkies

quote:

1) If we build it, would you come? From what distance would you have to travel, and would you be most likely to drive, fly, or get here some other way?

Highly likely. Especially if we can get in a Rangers game and get our sushi fix. We would drive about 4 hours to get there from our home. Not a big deal--around these parts, a 4 hour drive is just a warmup for the really long drive.

quote:
2) How many days would you wish to spend in the area? Assume that we'd start with a weekend and add time as necessary to one end or the other.

We'd spend up to a day hanging out/caching. I seriously doubt we'd spend more than a day just caching. The Faire would be an interesting event to attend--we used to go to them when we lived in Denver and Austin. We haven't been to the one in Waxahachie and would love to go.

quote:
3) How many events/functions would you want offered, understanding that not every function will suit every person?

I'd be interested in a "meet the cachers" get-together and a few geo games.

quote:
4) Would you rather cache with a local, with another from out of town, or on your own?

I've hooked up with complete strangers on several occasions and I've enjoyed it. I'd welcome the opportunity to cache with some of the people that I've met on the forums and the chat room.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest TresOkies

Would you rather cache with a local, with another from out of town, or on your own?

I've hooked up with complete strangers on several occasions and I've enjoyed it. I'd welcome the opportunity to cache with some of the people that I've met on the forums and the chat room.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

So, where is this chat room?

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

[/b]

Guest web-ling

By my count, the March 9 Breakfast Cache #3 is up to 52 planning to come. We're going to have to start finding larger meeting places icon_smile.gif Maybe a place with a playground? Looks like a lot of families with kids!

Guest web-ling

By my count, the March 9 Breakfast Cache #3 is up to 52 planning to come. We're going to have to start finding larger meeting places icon_smile.gif Maybe a place with a playground? Looks like a lot of families with kids!

Guest Joe Bob

It's going to be a crowd. Looking forward to it. Web-ling if nobody else has one I've got a TV/VCR that you were looking for to bring with me. Just let me know.

Guest TresOkies

I'm a little confused. There was talk about a gathering to coincide with the Scarborough Faire and now I see references to a monthly breakfast meeting. As much as I'd like to attend on 3/9, that's also the OKC meeting and the OKC car show (Mrs. Okie wants a new 4WD).

Is there still going to be a gathering that may or may not be in Waxahachie? I'd love to go stand in the exact geographic center of the former superconducting supercollider.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

[This message has been edited by TresOkies (edited 03 March 2002).]

Guest brokenwing

Yes, we're still planning another get together in late April / early May. That one is separate from the breakfast thing next week. When we first started talking about this, the breakfast was already planned, so it was given as an option. It quickly became apparent that the breakfast was too soon for the out of town folks.

Bottom line, we are still planning another get together for later. I'd like to have this one outside if the weather will cooperate.

------------------

Brokenwing

Guest T-storm

The D/FW GeoGathering will be held the weekend of April 20 & 21. I will put up a placeholder event cache soon and edit in details as they are solidified. This is different from the March breakfast event that has been mentioned. We specifically hope to draw some out-of-area folks as well as the locals (for reference, 55+ folks are signed up for the March breakfast).

I imagine we will try to plan a picnic and some sort of caching activity for one of the weekend days and go to Scarborough Faire on the other. On days on either end of the weekend there will likely be other goings on that any who can be in the area would be welcome to join as well. Possibly a dinner out somewhere and maybe a games night at my home. Of course there are plenty of opportunities for caching as much as one would like on your own or with others!

Watch here for more details...

T-storm

------------------

Guest DougsBrat

quote:

[bI imagine we will try to plan a picnic and some sort of caching activity for one of the weekend days and go to Scarborough Faire on the other

[/b]

need some cordinates at or in Scarborough Faire? icon_wink.gif I got lots of em, playing with the gps in the park.

Guest DougsBrat

quote:

[bI imagine we will try to plan a picnic and some sort of caching activity for one of the weekend days and go to Scarborough Faire on the other

[/b]

need some cordinates at or in Scarborough Faire? icon_wink.gif I got lots of em, playing with the gps in the park.

Guest Godzirra

I was just thinking (and talking to my wife) about having a big ol' friday-saturday-sunday event ... get someone with a large deer lease, take tents and food and such, get someone to hide a large cache ... have cachers in teams, and send them in however many directions from place to place to finally find the cache at the end ... I can just see a team of people digging holes trying to find a cache ....

Godzirra (roar)

quote:
Originally posted by Godzirra:

..about having a big ol' friday-saturday-sunday event ... get someone with a large deer lease

I was discusing something like this with another geocacher and he has just the place and permission from his dad (the owner). Just waiting on the weather to get better to start any serious planning. icon_rolleyes.gif

No matter where you go... there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by Godzirra:

..about having a big ol' friday-saturday-sunday event ... get someone with a large deer lease

I was discusing something like this with another geocacher and he has just the place and permission from his dad (the owner). Just waiting on the weather to get better to start any serious planning. icon_rolleyes.gif

No matter where you go... there you are!