I want to thank the 2 cachers who replied on the formatting.

gerty

Yellow Bug and I, Gerty, are new at this like a lot of you, I see. We have an etrex, Vista-Garmin and alas, our 12 year old grandson, accidentally scratched the face of it.

Is there any way to cover the scratches? Also, would like to get some input about going alone to find caches in the Salem, OR and Snoqualmie Falls, WA area. Does anyone have comments on how safe it might be? The caches are easy ones and I would go in the daylight. Thank you. Gerty the green gecko.

Snoqualmie is a nice quiet community and caching alone shouldn't be a problem there.

Most of the Cacher's I've meet from Oregon are a real decent group. If you haven't already, post a note in the Northwest forum. Someone is sure to point out several good caches for you to hunt.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

Question 1: scratches on face of Etrex - you can polish scratches out of plastic. There are rubbing compounds to polish plastic available at a plastics supply place (look under plastics in the yellow pages) or you can use toothpaste (seriously, toothpaste is a very mild abrasive).

Question 2: Is it safe to go out geocaching alone near Snoqualmie, WA?

Well, there's no such thing as 'no risk' but I'd say that Snoqualmie is likely to be one of the safer places. I live not far from Snoqualmie in Woodinville, and I go out alone often. I know quite a few other geocachers who would not hesistate to go out alone in the area around Snoqualmie. It's a small rural community. Your biggest risk is probably being hurt in a traffic accident, followed closely by getting hurt while hiking. The risk of violent crime is pretty small, if that's what you're asking.

Anyway, there are boatloads of cachers in this area. If you post a request to the NW forum

and mention specific dates, you should be able to easily find a geocacher who knows the area

who would be happy to join up with you to find the caches in the Snoqualmie area!

-Paul

If you're looking for beautiful places to Geocache, and have a weekend to spend, you might try Leavenworth, Washington (98826). My father grew up in this town, and I actually remember it before it became a Bavarian village. There is lots to see and do around there. One cache in particular, GC712D, refers to a landmark that I believe my father used to visit quite a lot when he was young. I don't want to spoil the surprise: feel free to email me if you want the details.

One caveat: either take a tent or call ahead for hotel reservations, because on weekends they are frequently booked up.

Shannah