WOW!!!

Talk about popularity. Just in November, we got excited about cache number 10,000, here we are now at 23325. (BTW, here is the thread about 10,000, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001177.html .) Anyone want to guess when we will run out of hexidecimal numbers and the need to drop the C (as in from GCXXXX to GXXXXX)?

---

Never hold a cat and a Dustbuster at the same time.

How did you get those numbers, at 9:55PM eastern time I only see 11,613 registered members.

Copied from About Geocaching:

As of today, there are 18946 active caches in 123 countries.

In the last 7 days, there have been 11418 new logs written by 3624 account holders.

Did I miss something?

quote:
Originally posted by OblongFred:

Anyone want to guess when we will run out of hexidecimal numbers and the need to drop the C (as in from GCXXXX to GXXXXX)?

I'll take a stab since I came pretty darn close. Cache 12169 was one of the ones placed on Jan 1, 2002. Right now, the most recent approved cache is 23371. Since it's May 23, that means we've done 11202 logged caches in 142 days, or about 78.9 caches per day.

At that constant rate (at which I'm sure it will not stay), we should hit 65535 on November 10, 2003.

But read that middle paragraph again. Since the first of January, we have had as almost doubled the number of caches in the system from the entire history of Geocaching.

Your a good man, Jeremy Irish.

Markwell