FYI: CNN article on the evolution of GPS

Kind of amusing to see the CNN article after being in BC Canada the past week where I was thwarted on a cache attempt due to too much snow. Apparently a June-placed cache in Atlanta is not worth hunting for until October! And then 87 people find it over the winter months.

Also, why does CNN find a guy who's only found 5 caches? Just jealous I guess, maybe my 15 minutes has already been used...

icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

why does CNN find a guy who's only found 5 caches?

Maybe they wanted to get the perspective of someone newer, so viewers who aren't familiar with the sport could relate. If it was someone who's done a couple of hundred, maybe the general public would feel a bit intimidated by them.

Or...maybe all the big time cachers were out HUNTING CACHES, and not available for comment. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Probably because this article was written over a year ago. At the time, they probably didn't have a lot of people to choose from.

That's about how it went. I recieved an email from this site, asking if anyone in the area would do a geocache in Stone Mountain with the crew there. I was the only one who could make it.. Five caches was a lot back then, because there were only a DOZEN OR SO in Georgia! And NONE in Atlanta. This was only a little over a year ago!!! I haven't been able to devote too much time with it, because I'm spending so much time working on my animationeffects company.

I guess I'm not as "extreme" a geocacher as most.

Typical pullquote tripe. Good filler article though.

"There are a lot of novel uses for GPS and everyone wants to put them on every Alzheimer's patient," said Will Strauss, a principal analyst with Forward Concepts. "But whether it'll be a lucrative market remains an open question. Will people pay for a device and service to find Aunt Wilma?"

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet