waypoint question?

I believe what you are reffering to is called 'projecting a waypoint'. This allows you to set a waypoint at X bearing and X distance from your current position. I think all of the newer GPSrs do this but the old ones do not have this ability.

It's useful for caches that land you at coordinates and then say to walk 500 feet at a bearing of 215 degrees (for example).

Hope that helps.

quote:
Originally posted by johnbarber:

i have an older gps and i think it says what degree i am facing. is that what i should go on?

thanks

Yes, the bearing from your position should be the same as the "degree you are facing". North is always 0, East is 90, South is 180 and West is 270.

-BB

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

quote:
Originally posted by johnbarber:

i have an older gps and i think it says what degree i am facing. is that what i should go on?

thanks

Yes, the bearing from your position should be the same as the "degree you are facing". North is always 0, East is 90, South is 180 and West is 270.

-BB

one more stupid question. does a gps point to true or magnetic north.

That's not a stupid question. You should be able to togle between true and magnetic north on your GPSr. (what model do you have?)

If you have an older model without a manual, simply get a real compass set to true, lay them both on a flat surface outdoors and see if they jive.

I hope that helps. There are many websites to "point" (no pun intended) in the right direction. Try a www.google.com search.

O

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)