Need Cache recommendations for Irving, Texas area...

jollybgood

Hey all,

My brother and sister in-law are in Irving Texas for two weeks while he attends a school his job sent him down to attend. (He's from Indiana).

I tried to get him hooked on cache hunting a few months ago but he didn't bite. Since he was driving to Texas from Indiana I loaned him my GPSV and plugged in the waypoints for his hotel, school, etc. He was so amazed that the unit lead him right to the front door of the hotel that he called back from the hotel and said he 'might' seen why geocaching could be fun and that he'd like to try finding a few during his stay in Irving.

So here's where I need help. Anyone from that area? I'd like to pick out 2 to 5 of the BEST caches in the area. Maybe one or two that are fairly easy and a couple that are a bit more challenging or that involve very interesting locales. I'm convinced after he's logged his firstg cache he'll catch the fever.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

There aren't many right in Irving, but...

Tombstone in Arlington is pretty cool.

Where the Sidewalk Ends is at the Ballpark in Arlington,and is good. There are a couple in the immediate vicinity of this one.

Christmas in July , Christmas In July :Bonus Cache , and "Legacy of the Geo-Gathering" O-Cache are all in a single park, also in Arlington.

Hawkshaw Horse Sense is a virtual at one of the area's "must see" locations.

The Las Colinas Lunch Hour is a fairly easy one along a nice greenbelt.

Outlaws and Pioneers is a cool historical one.

25021_1200.gif

I agree with Webling that Hawkshaw Horse Sense is a must see tourist stop.

The last log on The Las Colinas Lunch Hour is a no find, so I do not know the current status of that cache. However, it is a nice walk.

A little bit further north is Dietrying #2, a really nice two part cache in a park/wilderness area with well-maintained paths. The walk is easy, but the hide is a bit more challenging.

I always thought Roadside Romp was a fairly simple, but interesting cache because of its simplicity. However, there is probably lots of heavy grass and hence lots of grass burrs this time of year. It would give him the chance to see mesquite trees up close and personal if he is not familiar with Texas flora.

If he has the time and is willing to drive just a bit further, there are quite a few around Grapevine Lake. That is a nice place to get away, see the water, etc. There are several clustered together on the north side, including Another walk in the Park:Under New Management , which also leads to Another Walk In The Park: Bonus Cache. Also there is Hiding In Plain Sight

Good luck. Hope he has fun.

Alchemist2000

[This message was edited by alchemist2000 on August 14, 2002 at 06:51 PM.]