Discussion Threads with Multiple Pages

Several times, I've caught myself responding to a message that I thought was the lastest one...only to notice AFTER I've replied, that there were multiple pages to the thread. (And obviously, I'm not the only one who's been burned by this, since it's been brought up before.)

I've noticed that the main Groundspeak Forum page lists the latest postings for each forum category, and that those links take you directly to the newest post. On the Forum directory pages, though, the links take you to the beginning of each thread. I assume it's that way so we can read the whole story, from beginning to end, before making our comments.

But personally, if there's more than one page, I've probably already visited the thread before, and am familiar with the gist of what's been discussed. (Plus the quote feature makes it fairly simple to follow discussions, even if I don't scroll back up to the beginning.)

Anyway, I was curious how everyone else feels about multiple page threads. Hence, my poll question:

For discussion threads that have multiple pages, would you prefer the link from the directory page take you to the FIRST page (as it currently is), or to the LAST page (so that you can quickly scan the latest post(s) for the thread)?

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I voted for show all on one, however:

I'd also be happier if it were made bolder that there are two pages. THERE ARE MULTIPLE PAGES TO THIS THREAD. YOU ARE LOOKING AT PAGE 1 OF 4.

Ah yes, the BOLD thing, at the very minimum, would be helpful. Should be easy to do, too. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Then maybe a goober like me wouldn't have made the same mistake over and over and over again.

I resemble that remark! icon_cool.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I voted for show all on one, however:

I'd also be happier if it were made bolder that there are two pages. THERE ARE MULTIPLE PAGES TO THIS THREAD. YOU ARE LOOKING AT PAGE 1 OF 4.

Ah yes, the BOLD thing, at the very minimum, would be helpful. Should be easy to do, too. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Then maybe a goober like me wouldn't have made the same mistake over and over and over again.

I resemble that remark! icon_cool.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

The old UBB used to have links to each page listed by/under the thread title. Many other BB packages do it this way, too. That's my 2nd choice. I really do like it all on one page (so I can do a ctrl+F one time to find what I'm looking for in the thread) but I recognize that not everyone has broadband at home. icon_frown.gif

AtP

The old UBB used to have links to each page listed by/under the thread title. Many other BB packages do it this way, too. That's my 2nd choice. I really do like it all on one page (so I can do a ctrl+F one time to find what I'm looking for in the thread) but I recognize that not everyone has broadband at home. icon_frown.gif

AtP

Why not just reverse the order of the posts so the newest are at the top of the first page. I'm tired of having to load the first page to be able to go to the last page for the most current post. Lately the forums have been really slow to load, even with broadband. icon_frown.gif

Why not just reverse the order of the posts so the newest are at the top of the first page. I'm tired of having to load the first page to be able to go to the last page for the most current post. Lately the forums have been really slow to load, even with broadband. icon_frown.gif