stats availability

edscott

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Everybody here who started geocaching to have status on a leaderboard, raise your hand.

Hell, I was ranked in the "Top 10" in the world before I even found out there was a leaderboard. By the time the site was closed down, I had fallen to #25. Clearly, the leaderboard made me ultra-competitive. icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually, the leaderboard page loaded so slowly, I very rarely checked it. It was much more fun and interesting to check the "Cities" and "States" boards to keep up on the activities of other local cachers. It was also fun figuring out the different routes and groupings of caches people pursued.

Most cachers aren't concerned with the "score". I've heard of a few that don't log finds; they do post messages to let the owner know they've been there, but the thrill of the hunt is their joy. I'm relatively new to this hobby, and enjoying it very much, but if everyone here is going to categorize everyone else by number of finds, I'd rather follow the example of not logging finds. Personally, I think the site is fine as is. The primary purpose of this site should be, I believe, to record coordinates of caches placed so others may find them. As far as logging finds goes, the owners of caches should be checking their caches and reading the log there, so really even logging finds here is beside the point. There shouldn't be a winner in Geocaching, everyone that gets out and even tries to find a cache is a winner.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Actually, the leaderboard page loaded so slowly, I very rarely checked it.

Due to the way the insidecorner leaderboard was set up (there was no cachers table for one) it was rather slow. However, I can say first-hand that it is possible to have a leaderboard that is fast.

At any rate, stats are more than a leaderboard. To be able to 'follow' a fellow cacher, see what types of caches they've done, see their caching frequency, find out who you know that has visited a certain area before you leave town on vacation, etc.