GIS Help

Growley

This morning at work I was informed that I need to start learning as much as possible about GIS because I will become deeply involved with it at my new job. I KNOW NOTHING about GIS. We are using "archview"? if that helps. My question is this; are there any online sites that I could go to to learn how to use and understand GIS? Since I have and know nothing about this system anything would be of help. THANKS.

I think you mean ArcView. I've used it. Consider a course at you nearest university. I took a graduate level introductory GIS course from the geography department at BYU when I was an undergraduate. It was geared for non-geographers. The web-site for ArcView (above) might give you some good starting points.

Check out this link:

http://www.unb.ca/departs/engineering/GGE/Resources/Resources.html

Try the 'GIS for the Curious, a guide to Geographic Information Systems'. It was created by one of my former professors. It even has on-line tutorials. The University of New Brunswick's Geomatics and Geodesy Department has an excellent international reputation. I believe this guide may have even won an award. Good luck with ARCVIEW. It's not difficult to work with, and you create some nice maps with the right data!

- Donna G.