Idea for a Waypoint site.

rain theory

I like exploring historic, run-down, abandoned, houses, buildings, quarries, factories, towers, missile silos etc. etc. etc. and 99% of them have about 90% of the worlds "NO TRESSPASSING" signs. and some have survellance i think.

But, down to the point. I am thinking of taking my newly-purchased GPS to these locations to create waypoints either at them, or before the no tresspassing stuff. Knowing the potential risk, I'm sure nothing like this could be associated with geocaching, but my question is: are there enough people out there that like these things as much as i do, and would be willing to get waypoints from them for possibly an "abandoned waypoint" site?

- - - rain theory - - -

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

http://www.actionsquad.org/index.html icon_wink.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I was thinking of another thread where the question was, "would you join or run away from other cachers you meet. After seeing this, I think run away fast would be my choice. Hehehe icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif

Try not to criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Because by then you are a mile away...and you have their shoes.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

http://www.actionsquad.org/index.html icon_wink.gif

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I was thinking of another thread where the question was, "would you join or run away from other cachers you meet. After seeing this, I think run away fast would be my choice. Hehehe icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif

Try not to criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Because by then you are a mile away...and you have their shoes.

quote:
I like exploring historic, run-down, abandoned, houses, buildings, quarries, factories, towers, missile silos etc. etc. etc. and 99% of them have about 90% of the worlds "NO TRESSPASSING" signs.

NJ has a magazine devoted to this very pastime; Weird NJ magazine. They also run a website, www.weirdnj.com and they've started another website dedicated to places outside NJ (http://www.weirdnj.com/__weirdus/index.html) but it isn't nearly as comprehensive.

There is a 3rd website devoted to similar stuff here (www.midnightsociety.com) here, but none of these

websites provide waypoints unfortunately.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

There are all kinds of great things to be found at Forgotten Ohio.

I've always wished that there would be GPS coordinates listed for every location - BUT - I can see how this would end up being a problem. People would seek out these places, some would eventually get caught... and then the person hosting the site would catch a bunch of crap for revealing the exact locations. icon_frown.gif

A good idea, in theory - but I don't think it could be executed without hassles.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

There are all kinds of great things to be found at Forgotten Ohio.

I've always wished that there would be GPS coordinates listed for every location - BUT - I can see how this would end up being a problem. People would seek out these places, some would eventually get caught... and then the person hosting the site would catch a bunch of crap for revealing the exact locations. icon_frown.gif

A good idea, in theory - but I don't think it could be executed without hassles.

toe.gif

I don't see anything wrong with getting the coords of an abandoned building and placing them as a virutal cache on the site. As long as you don't violate any tresspassing rules by just going to the site.

I used to explore LARGE abandoned buildings in downtown Detroit. I'm talking 33 story hotels and stuff. Had a huge website about it, but had to give up on the stuff for a while to plan a wedding, buy a house, and start my next life.

So, I guess I wouldn't see anythign wrong with creating a cache for something like a significant abandoned building. It would have to be worthy of a cache though. Just picking an abandoned house in a neighborhood for the heck of it wouldn't work.

But something like the Book-Cadillac Hotel in down town Detroit (abandoned for over 15-years) would be significant because it's a historical site, and was once known as the tallest hotel in the world (when it was first built).

Just my $0.02.

CJ Miller

Warren, MI

Here is a site that I found in someone's signature line... looks kinda like what you were talking about, except just localized to NJ.

As for making those locations virtual caches, you'd have to be really careful about directing people to "abandoned" places, because they are still probably private property. I have a virtual cache which has "bonus locations" that you can visit if you solve a little puzzle - I had to be very careful with my wording before it was approved. The whole idea of directing people to private property understandably makes the admins uneasy. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Here is a site that I found in someone's signature line... looks kinda like what you were talking about, except just localized to NJ.

As for making those locations virtual caches, you'd have to be really careful about directing people to "abandoned" places, because they are still probably private property. I have a virtual cache which has "bonus locations" that you can visit if you solve a little puzzle - I had to be very careful with my wording before it was approved. The whole idea of directing people to private property understandably makes the admins uneasy. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif