WSJ

Frolickin

Forgive me if this was discussed . . . I did just look and do not see any likely topics.

There was a blurb about geocaching and geocaching.com in Monday's Wall Street Journal. It was on page R9 as an offset to a larger article about Where's George.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

hey, cool. Can you get WSJ online? I would like to check it out. Will do a search on google.

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

hey, cool. Can you get WSJ online? I would like to check it out. Will do a search on google.

The article is at:

Follow the Money

I don't know if it's accessible without an account (I have one, so I can't tell),

The specific reference is:

"Geocaching (www.geocaching.com)

"How it works: A high-tech treasure hunt. Little treasure boxes (called caches) containing anything from trinkets to books to DVDs are put somewhere in the world and the latitude and longitude figures are entered on the Geocaching site. People use their global-positioning system (GPS) units to find the caches, take some treasure and put in some of their own for the next person to find. For those interested in tracking the goodies they leave behind, "travel bugs," or electronic dog tags, can be purchased at the site for around $6 and attached to an object in a cache. If you don't have a GPS unit, you can try a non-tech version of the game that just relies on clues and navigational skills, Letterboxing North America (located at www.letterboxing.org).

Copyright © 2002 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved"

The article itself explains the "Where's George" process and mentions other ways/sites for tracking items: bookcrossing.com, phototag.com, and 1000journal.com. I think geocaching made the article thanks to Travel Bugs.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

Yup you need an account.

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.