GeoCaching Rain Suits

SkyTrek

I'm looking for a high quality, light weight, breathable rain suit that I can pack on my bike or leave in the car for those afternoon rain storms that sneak up on us. I want gore-tex or some other fabric that allows persperation to escape but is water-proof. Price is a consideration but I want the quality. I'll pay $100 to $200 but I'd much prefer <$100. I read a little about Frogg Toggs for under $70. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Can anyone reccomend any other brands?

Goretex is pretty effective during in cold weather. It is less effective in hot humid conditions.

One of the requirements for a product to carry the goretex logo is that the design and manufacturing of the garment must be inspected and approved by Gore. This levels the playing field for quality, but also increases price.

I own three goretex parkas. One from TNF, REI, and Browning. They are all good quality.

I picked up a jacket at Costco for under $30 last autumn (before the rainy season starts again in Seattle) and should've grabbed the pants for $20 at that time. Jacket folds into its own pocket for carrying, has a big hood (rolls into the collar) that is perfect over a baseball hat, etc. A little spraying with some waterproofing and it's pretty good for caching. You should be able to come up with something good for $50 or so in lots of places.

Marmot PreCip Jacket or Anorak and Pants, not goretex, but waterproof/breathable, rugged yet lightweight nylon construction. Have been using these for over two years now, and never any leakage problems, the fit is great for active sports. Cheaper than goretex. Also the patent on Goretex has expired so many clothing manufacturers use a generic or proprietary membrane material, that is just as good as the original.

I would recommend looking at the Frog Togs before buying. If you check their website you can probably find a nearby source. The material is kind of strange, very thin with a rubbery feel. I don't think they would hold up long if you had to do any bushwacking. Price wise they are less than half of the Marmot or Patagonia suits.

Libby & I use $5 ponchos we got at Busch Gardens in a rainstorm. They are light and roll up into a ziplock. Because of the design the don't seem to steam up too much and if they tear up I can get another for $5. We often go out in the rain but since most hunts are under an hour it is no big deal that we look like blue smurfs icon_biggrin.gif If you plan on hiking for hours in any kind of weather then spend the bucks for something better.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

I would recommend looking at the Frog Togs before buying. If you check their website you can probably find a nearby source. The material is kind of strange, very thin with a rubbery feel. I don't think they would hold up long if you had to do any bushwacking. Price wise they are less than half of the Marmot or Patagonia suits.

Libby & I use $5 ponchos we got at Busch Gardens in a rainstorm. They are light and roll up into a ziplock. Because of the design the don't seem to steam up too much and if they tear up I can get another for $5. We often go out in the rain but since most hunts are under an hour it is no big deal that we look like blue smurfs icon_biggrin.gif If you plan on hiking for hours in any kind of weather then spend the bucks for something better.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

One of the requirements for a product to carry the goretex logo is that the design and manufacturing of the garment must be inspected and approved by Gore.

I'm glad he lost to Bush. I'd hate to have the government tell me what I can or cannot wear in the rain.

I have personally used Frogg Toggs here on the wet side of Oregon. I would just like to say they are superb. They shed rain like a trash bag and breathe like a T-shirt. They are that good. Their only drawback is they look like they are made out of paper and they may not be as durable as other brands. So what? I love 'em!

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."