Micro caches in the woods

A pete peeve of mine is micro caches in forested areas. I see the need for them in popular urban, or suburban parks and I even have a couple out there myself. But when you get out into the deep woods, I don't think they are a good idea. First, they are REALLY hard to find and people sometimes tear up an area looking for them. There are a couple in my area that have mostly "not founds" logged. I'm not averse to difficult to find caches, but looking for a film cannister in the woods is literally like looking for a needle in a haystack

There is a danger from any inexperienced (or just lazy) cacher hunting any kind of cache ... I've seen cacher "evidence" where they have gone in an literally tore up an area looking for a cache. Fortunately ... around our area ... most cachers use their eyes and brains and examine the area ... and check out suspected locations rather than the "carpet bombing approach". Not only does this approach damage an area ... it usually destroys the "hide". It really does no good ... if you tear up an area looking for something ... you can't even tell where you've looked after awhile ... wheither that is a cache in the woods or a missing tool in your workshop icon_biggrin.gif

348_2702.gif

There is a danger from any inexperienced (or just lazy) cacher hunting any kind of cache ... I've seen cacher "evidence" where they have gone in an literally tore up an area looking for a cache. Fortunately ... around our area ... most cachers use their eyes and brains and examine the area ... and check out suspected locations rather than the "carpet bombing approach". Not only does this approach damage an area ... it usually destroys the "hide". It really does no good ... if you tear up an area looking for something ... you can't even tell where you've looked after awhile ... wheither that is a cache in the woods or a missing tool in your workshop icon_biggrin.gif

348_2702.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

There is a danger from any inexperienced (or just lazy) cacher hunting any kind of cache ... I've seen cacher "evidence" where they have gone in an literally tore up an area looking for a cache.

That's why my cache description spefically states, "None of the micro containers are covered. Each is in plain view, but you’ll basically need to be right on top of them before you’ll be able to see them."

On the other hand, I've heard people complain about virtual caches when, rather than reading cache description pages, they do a mass download and go out searching for caches that they have no idea what they are looking for. (In my mind, these people are doing themselves a disservice...possibly missing out on cautions and/or hints about cool things to look for or do while they're at the cache site.) I hope, though, that even if a person has no idea what kind of cache container (or not) they are looking for, that they will use courtesy, and not tear the area up.

Obviously, though, the various partcipants in this sport cover the whole spectrum of common sense and common courtesy. icon_eek.gif

quote:

There is a danger from any inexperienced (or just lazy) cacher hunting any kind of cache ... I've seen cacher "evidence" where they have gone in an literally tore up an area looking for a cache.

That's why my cache description spefically states, "None of the micro containers are covered. Each is in plain view, but you’ll basically need to be right on top of them before you’ll be able to see them."

On the other hand, I've heard people complain about virtual caches when, rather than reading cache description pages, they do a mass download and go out searching for caches that they have no idea what they are looking for. (In my mind, these people are doing themselves a disservice...possibly missing out on cautions and/or hints about cool things to look for or do while they're at the cache site.) I hope, though, that even if a person has no idea what kind of cache container (or not) they are looking for, that they will use courtesy, and not tear the area up.

Obviously, though, the various partcipants in this sport cover the whole spectrum of common sense and common courtesy. icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:...Obviously, though, the various partcipants in this sport cover the whole spectrum of common sense and common courtesy.

Well said ... and there in lies the problem. Same reason you see some people that will empty the ashtray of their car in the middle of an intersection while waiting for the light to change (saw that a while back) and some people dispose of their trash properly. It should be legal to have these people fixed so they can't reproduce ... but then I might just be bitter icon_biggrin.gif

348_2702.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:...Obviously, though, the various partcipants in this sport cover the whole spectrum of common sense and common courtesy.

Well said ... and there in lies the problem. Same reason you see some people that will empty the ashtray of their car in the middle of an intersection while waiting for the light to change (saw that a while back) and some people dispose of their trash properly. It should be legal to have these people fixed so they can't reproduce ... but then I might just be bitter icon_biggrin.gif

348_2702.gif

quote:

Same reason you see some people that will empty the ashtray of their car in the middle of an intersection while waiting for the light to change.

Argh! That kind of thing bugs me, as well.

A coworker and I went out to check on a couple of my caches during lunch today (I wanted to check the coordinates with my new GPSr ... a Magellan MAP 330X icon_smile.gifYeah, I know, it's no Garmin V or 76S...but for the price, I'm thinking I'm going to like it a lot better than the Eagle Explorer I had been using. icon_wink.gif)

As we picked up trash left behind in one of the parks, we were grousing about people who are so lazy they throw things on the ground within sight of a trash can! As I told her, I know that sometimes things will fall from someone's pocket or bag without them noticing...but the ones that really burn me are people who obviously see that they've dropped something...and they look right at it...but then turn their back to it, and leave it there anyway. icon_redface.gif

Blatently dumping an ashtray, as you witnessed, takes it to an even higher level of inconsideration. People like that make me feel ashamed to be in the same species with them. icon_mad.gif

quote:

Same reason you see some people that will empty the ashtray of their car in the middle of an intersection while waiting for the light to change.

Argh! That kind of thing bugs me, as well.

A coworker and I went out to check on a couple of my caches during lunch today (I wanted to check the coordinates with my new GPSr ... a Magellan MAP 330X icon_smile.gifYeah, I know, it's no Garmin V or 76S...but for the price, I'm thinking I'm going to like it a lot better than the Eagle Explorer I had been using. icon_wink.gif)

As we picked up trash left behind in one of the parks, we were grousing about people who are so lazy they throw things on the ground within sight of a trash can! As I told her, I know that sometimes things will fall from someone's pocket or bag without them noticing...but the ones that really burn me are people who obviously see that they've dropped something...and they look right at it...but then turn their back to it, and leave it there anyway. icon_redface.gif

Blatently dumping an ashtray, as you witnessed, takes it to an even higher level of inconsideration. People like that make me feel ashamed to be in the same species with them. icon_mad.gif

Take a look at our Dash for the Cash Cache. Its a film cannister, and although not hidden in a regular forest, it is hidden in a rocky Saguaro forest. We placed it off trail in such a way that only rocks have to be traversed to reach it. Also we wrote the description such that it is very easy to find once you get there and avoids the need for most people to hunt around tearing the place up.

The reason we choose a film cannister was because of the subject of the cache. An ammo can or tupperware would not have been as suitable IMO.

Groover