Geo Contest?

Team Shuey

I own a business, and have several other businesses interested in sponsoring an event for geocaching here in central Florida. The problem is what type of contest could we do that would make it evenly fair for each contestant. Below is our idea, and if you have any other ideas let us know. We really want to stay away from virtual caches.

Here is our idea:

1.) We would hide lets say 50 caches within 50 miles. The contents of the cache would consist of only a key, or combination.

2.) We would then let every registered participate for the event have a copy of all the cordinates to each of these caches.

3.) The object of this would be of course to get as many keys/combinations as they can, and return back to the base.

4.) At the base everyone will then try their keys/combinations that they retrieved from the caches on a safe that has the prizes inside to see if they are the lucky winner.

We feel that this will be able to make it even, because no one will have a clue what cache actually has the winning key/combination.

Note: We have even looked into the situation of:

My question is, Has anyone ever run a contest of this sort, and if so did everything run smoothly?

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Note: We have even looked into the situation of:

What if we give everyone a copy of the cache list, and they have other people that are not in the contest help them by finding others at the same time?

Answer: We came up with an idea that we hold the list, and have them call in after each find. This would make the contest go faster, because we would then be able to justify, and make it so we do not send them to caches that have already been found.

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

quote:
Originally posted by Wander Lost:

The big problem I see with that, is a bunch of mad cachers driving from cache to cache unsafely in order to find the most keys.

You should keep the contest in a controlled area that will allow everyone to walk/run between caches.

http://home.attbi.com/~wander_lost/smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

Yes, it would be like a mad dash, however this would also eliminate the possibility that the cachers would be on each others heels to get to the same caches.

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Ooops! I hit quote instead of edit. icon_smile.gif

quote:

The big problem I see with that, is a bunch of mad cachers driving from cache to cache unsafely in order to find the most keys.

You should keep the contest in a controlled area that will allow everyone to walk/run between caches.

I like the idea of them calling in for new coords. You could have all the locations on slips of paper and have each team draw one as a starting point. When they either find the cache or give up they would call in, you would draw another set of coords from the 'hat' for their next cache.

We did a cache event here called The Search. It was similar to what you were talking about. They gave all of us a full list of the 20+ coords and we all headed out at the same time. They had a first finder card in each cache and a limited number of additional finder cards so only the first 5-7 teams would get a card. Each card was worth a number of points and those points translated into tickets for the final prize drawing.

We had one large team that split up into several groups and each took a section of the coords. Some felt it was unfair, but it was not against the rules. Your idea of having teams call in for additional coords would help minimize that.

**As a side note the team that split up did get the most prize tickets but they did not, in my opinion, get more prizes per person than any other team and they didn't get the larger prizes either. icon_wink.gif

http://home.attbi.com/~wander_lost/smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

Ooops! I hit quote instead of edit. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I like the idea of them calling in for new coords. You could have all the locations on slips of paper and have each team draw one as a starting point. When they either find the cache or give up they would call in, you would draw another set of coords from the 'hat' for their next cache.

We did a cache event here called The Search. It was similar to what you were talking about. They gave all of us a full list of the 20+ coords and we all headed out at the same time. They had a first finder card in each cache and a limited number of additional finder cards so only the first 5-7 teams would get a card. Each card was worth a number of points and those points translated into tickets for the final prize drawing.

We had one large team that split up into several groups and each took a section of the coords. Some felt it was unfair, but it was not against the rules. Your idea of having teams call in for additional coords would help minimize that.

**As a side note the team that split up did get the most prize tickets but they did not, in my opinion, get more prizes per person than any other team and they didn't get the larger prizes either. icon_wink.gif

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??