Silica Gel Packets

Guest Dwarf

Guest Dwarf

I was wondering if including silica gel packets in stashes might be a good idea. They are the little pouches that come with most electronic equipment to keep them dry during shipping and storage. You know, the DO NOT EAT packets..so they already have the warning right on them. Might help keep things a lot drier in there. Putting in a diaper would do the same thing I guess, but even unused that just seems nasty to me.

Guest Dwarf

Now that I think about it a diaper WOULD be good for the very large stashes in moist places. Like the 5 gallon buckets or larger. You might have to label it as a moisture absorber or someone might think it was a form of vandalism and throw it out. I'd give it a try if you have a moist bucket.

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

Hey K2dave... is that K2 as in the skis, snowboards, rollerblades, bikes, mountain? Just wondering 'cause I ski K2's myself.

Anyway... if you come up with a good underwater container, please be sure to post info! I just had a thought, instead of going into the water maybe a location that overhangs water and you have to pull it up by a rope? Hmmm.....

Guest Dwarf

I considered a stash that would be anchored to the bottom by tying a nylon rope to a rock and having the cache float at the other end. Perhaps suspended just a couple or so feet under the water, but there are a lot of considerations. Changing lake levels, the potential for being hit by a boat propeller if it floats to close to the surface, and have you every seen the stuff that grows on bouys? YECCH Giant clusters of frog eggs and such.

I'd really like to hear some more underwater ideas that wouldn't require scuba gear though! All I can think of is just wading out a few feet and sticking it under a rock and only putting in things that wouldn't be harmed by getting wet.

Guest k2dave

quote:
Hey K2dave... is that K2 as in the skis, snowboards, rollerblades, bikes, mountain? Just wondering 'cause I ski K2's myself.

I have had 3 pairs of k2 extreme (still have 2 as rock skies). K2 is partly due to skiing, partly due to my love of the mountains and outdoors and partly due to my and my wife's company K2 Consulting (which we derived from our love of the outdoors and my name and her maiden name both started w/ K)

Guest ClayJar

If you wanted to absorb moisture in a cache, you'd be better off to get some Damp Rid, since it's non-toxic, available in large sizes, and it's also non-toxic. (The treatment for ingestion is to drink lots of water, since you'll get really thirsty.)

Guest guerroloco

Dwarf, have you considered sinking a cache in a hollow stump? I know lots of these Missouri fishing lakes/reservoirs have areas of old tree snags that might fit the bill. An underwater cache inside a tree snag would be immune to propellor damage, & fairly easy to retrieve. I've been thinking of placing such a cache up here in Boone County.

Guest Dwarf

Good idea Guerroloco, but I'm a little spooked. I HATE spiders, and every stump in the water I've seen is covered with them. If I can find a pretty clean looking one I will definately use that idea.

I'm originally from Louisiana and was thinking about the cypress knees down there, but hadn't got any further than that.

Guest Dwarf

For those of you who have never seen one, a Cypress knee is a root structure from a cypress tree. They are prevalent in southern lakes and swamps. They come up out of the water very much resembling stalagmite cave formations. Some of them have hollows in the side, but generally they are smooth, rounded, and capped off at the top unless they've rotted or have been chopped off. They are very cool looking. I've seen lamps made from them along with carved sculptures similar to driftwood art.

I was wondering if including silica gel packets in stashes might be a good idea. They are the little pouches that come with most electronic equipment to keep them dry during shipping and storage. You know, the DO NOT EAT packets..so they already have the warning right on them. Might help keep things a lot drier in there. Putting in a diaper would do the same thing I guess, but even unused that just seems nasty to me.

Anybody out there using silica and is it working good????I can get a bunch of it and if everyone likes it I can start putting packets in visited caches??

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376