Will Iraq be #165?

skydiver

So I was just thinking, I know there are many geocachers out there who are military members (I'm former military myself), so I would bet that at least a couple are in Iraq at the moment, and probably have access to a very accurate GPS... and Iraq doesn't seem to have any caches yet.

You should be able to tell where I'm going with this. Anybody care to speculate?

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

Iraq's one and only cache has more than 100 accounts watching it. Each of them received an e-mail earlier today, notifying them that the cache had been archived until the situation in Iraq is a bit more conducive to geocaching.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Iraq's one and only cache has more than 100 accounts watching it. Each of them received an e-mail earlier today, notifying them that the cache had been archived until the situation in Iraq is a bit more conducive to geocaching.

Ok, I guess I missed that one. Got a link?

Archiving it seems like a silly knee-jerk reaction though. Don't we always say that we each are responsible for knowing what we're going into before hunting any cache? These may be extreem circumstances, but I think the rule still works very well, even now.

skydiver-sig.gif

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

As one of the people watching that Iraqi cache, i'm glad it's archived.

I was getting SOOO tired of people posting notes regarding how pro-war they were, usually including a snide comment about how the cache might be soon glowing with radiation and the like.

To a lesser extent, i was annoyed by the people that posted notes wishing peace to the region.

Both viewpoints--hippie AND mullet--had nothing to do with geocaching, so i'm hoping that by archiving the cache i won't have to read anymore about that cache in irbil, iraq for a while.

My geocaching friend slinger91 and i were thinking about hitting that cache up until about two weeks ago when we found out about the american and european 'human shields' that were supposedly flocking to iraq.

Finding that cache is pretty prime bragging rights, don't you think? PDX to Amman, Jordan (RT) is $1300, then the $300 taxi ride, plus a hotel in Amman, food, gifts to bring home for the girlfriend, etc. We figured that for about $8000, we could start a pretty could forum topic entitled something like 'WE ROCK, WUSSIES.'

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

Both viewpoints--hippie AND mullet--had nothing to do with geocaching, so i'm hoping that by archiving the cache i won't have to read anymore about that cache in irbil, iraq for a while.

Ahhh.. ok. Can't argue with that at all. All that would annoy the #%#@#$%@#%^# out of me too. icon_mad.gif Thanks for the clarification.

skydiver-sig.gif

I would think that there could be alot of Virtual caches in Iraq?

One in Kuwait:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=45603

Couple in Jordan:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?country_id=103&submit3=Submit

One in Saudi Arabia:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=58209

United Arab Emirites:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?country_id=206&submit3=Submit

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on March 21, 2003 at 07:38 AM.]