Travellers Caches

We are going from the UK to Minnesota for a few days at the beginning of April and have a five hour layover at Chicago on the way back.

I've looked and there are no caches nearby that we can get to easily from the airport. (O'Hare)

I thought it might be a good idea if people place a cache within walking distance of a major airport near where they live. Not on the airport by close by, bearing in mind the security considerations. This would give peole chance to hit a cache if they have time before they fly.

I'll start the ball rolling with one near to Leeds/Bradford Airport in N. England.

Or is this just a crazy idea?

Alex.

Keep in mind that airports are so sensitive to security issues right now, you don't want to place anything too close. Consider some good virtual caches. For example, if anyone is ever at Reagan Airport in DC, there's a great place to sit and watch planes approach the runway. It woulod be a good way to pass some layover time.

Here's one that seems to fit the bill (though it's a virtual.)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5556

In the Midwest forum, where this conversation sort of started, I suggested that if one wanted to walk out of a busy, pedestrian-averse airport like O'Hare, one should first take a parking lot shuttle to a distant long-term parking lot and then walk out from there. Those placing caches might take this advice into account when finding locations.

In the case of O'Hare specifically, it seems to me that a cache hidden near the northeast corner of Higgins and Mannheim (isn't there a small wetland or creek between the McDonald's and the tollway?) would be within reasonable walking distance of the parking area and far enough from the airport to not arouse undue suspicion, as well as being an excellent opportunity to "trash out."

Not actually being *from* Chicago, of course, I would never plant one there myself. I could never maintain it.

For the record, there are four caches within 6 miles of O'Hare:

CardCaptor

Geocache #00041

Moving Target

CHEESE

I guess it depends on how long your layover is and how far from the airport you're willing to go. O'Hare, while being very busy, may not be the best location to place a cache because of how urban the area is. If they ever get that new airport down in Peotone - it would be perfect!

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

I am the owner of the "Smack the Ground" cache referenced by Warm Fuzzies. It's at D/FW Airport. If you are up for a good walk, I'm guessing at least 3 miles RT, you could take the free shuttle to the South Shuttle Parking and walk from there. In general, though, walking completely out of the vicinity of the airport to get to places where caches could reasonably be placed would require MILES of walking that someone on a layover might not have time to complete. Not to mention the complication of carryon luggage. It would be hard to place worthwhile caches that could be found as you describe arount this particular airport. If you ever head through here, give me some advance warning and I'll check the distance on my virtual for you! icon_biggrin.gif

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

I am the owner of the "Smack the Ground" cache referenced by Warm Fuzzies. It's at D/FW Airport. If you are up for a good walk, I'm guessing at least 3 miles RT, you could take the free shuttle to the South Shuttle Parking and walk from there. In general, though, walking completely out of the vicinity of the airport to get to places where caches could reasonably be placed would require MILES of walking that someone on a layover might not have time to complete. Not to mention the complication of carryon luggage. It would be hard to place worthwhile caches that could be found as you describe arount this particular airport. If you ever head through here, give me some advance warning and I'll check the distance on my virtual for you! icon_biggrin.gif

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching