What's with the double log in?

Gloom

OK, I have the website set up to use cookies so I don't have to log in everytime I view it, but when I come to the forums I need to click login twice.

Now let me clarify, if I go to the www.geocaching.com page first and then click the 'discuss geocaching' button I only have to login once. If I type www.geocaching.com/discuss into my browser first (without going to the home page) then I have to click it twice for it to recognize me. I assume that the first time I click it, it logs me into the website www.geocaching.com and the second time it actually logs me into the forums. Is this really what's happening? Is there a way to make it only take one click?

I know I'm splitting hairs, but...

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

quote:
Originally posted by dwmurphy:

click on the box directly under it for auto logging into the forums, you only have to login once. icon_wink.gif

Yeah I tried that, but it only seems to last one time. The next time I come back the setting is off. Or at least it makes me do the double login again.

However, this time, I didn't go to the webpage first, and I do not have the auto-forum-login on and I didn't have to login at all. It recognized me right away. wierd.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

quote:
Originally posted by happycycler:

If you use a dial in/up modem, could the different IP address cause confusion for the login software? I know that I generally have a different IP address each time I dial in.

I'm using the T1 line at my work. I suppose it's possible that everytime I boot up I'm assigned a different IP, but I think it stores IPs and only grabs a different one if it can't get the same one.

----

It's a synchonization problem with the two servers. The forums are not on the same server, but they use the same login.

Instead of going to the "discuss" link, try bookmarking

http://www.geocaching.com/login/forums.asp

while having the cookies active.

That was a hint from Elias a while ago. Using that link I always get logged in when I go to the forums. Never had a problem since I started doing that.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching