Urbancaching

I am planning to create a little urbancaching competition in LA (See my earlier post here) and I am thinking to place some magnets on USPS mailboxes (among others). After what happened in rural parts of Illinois and Iowa I am wondering if it is still a good idea? icon_confused.gif

Any advice? Thank you.

invasion.gif

-Happy Urbancachers-

If you mean the blue boxes, I'd strongly recommend against it. Theft from those things has been an issue for quite a while so if someone sees someone spending a lot of time doing weird things near a blue box, they're likely to report it to the cops who will keep an eye on the area. Along comes the next cacher who gets questioned.

Caches last longer when they don't tempt the paranoia inherent in the average American.

[This message was edited by Team Dragon on May 03, 2002 at 09:26 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by MrSki and Dogma:

Rural Illinois and Iowa Mailboxes (I think 8 all together) were blown up with pipe bombs. I think anyone planting a cache anywhere near a mailbox in this area would probably be jumped on before they even got their readings!

THey were triggered to go off when someone opened the boxes. So it's not like some just blew up boxes. They were trying to hurt people.

george

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

THey were triggered to go off when someone opened the boxes. So it's not like some just blew up boxes. They were trying to hurt people.

george

my understanding is that they were rigged up so when the next person opened the box it would blow up, 6 ppl so far were injuried.

icon_frown.gif

whack.gif

With all that happened with anthrax and the Post Office, I'd stay away from mail boxes. Why look for trouble? Plus investigators have enough to do looking for real terrorists. Let's not divert their time from this important work.

Alan