Mapping question (trying to post here since GPS forum was giving me errors...)

We've already got a yellow eTrex, but I'm curious about models with mapping capability. How much map can one get in 8MB or 24MB of memory? What would it take to hold, say, the entirety of San Diego county? I'd care about having as much detail as possible -- the smallest streets, topo maps. Come to that, how well can one even see a topo map, on a GPS screen? Can you load both street and topo information, and if you do, do you get to select which to display at any given time? I know topo maps are often indifferent when it comes to keeping up with street changes. The higher-end eTrex models apparently have finer resolution on the same size screen as the yellow; is the print then very, very tiny?

I didn't see this one in the appropriate area, but I'm going to close it since it doesn't really belong here. Go ahead and post it in the appropriate forum if you will.

I have a Vista, by the way, and I have all of N. GA, a strip running to Birmingham, AL and two strips running along the interstate highways to Savannah and down below Macon, GA. It is all in the topo version. That is about 18 MB. You could do San Diego and some extra with 8 MB I'm sure. You can only have either street or topo, but not both. The printing is not tiny but does have better resolution.

Good luck.

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors