GeoCaching Container

ScurvyDog

Hello, while in the Harbor Freight store today. I found a nice plastic tube. It's almost 14" long and 3" around. Just right for holding that cache. The cap "Twists" on and says it's air and water tight. With a price of only $5.99 it was hard to pass up. The only draw back is that it's color is "Orange". No reason why it couldn't be painted to match what ever.

Item # 46477 holds up to 10 lbs.

Sounds cool.

There are a number of ways of concealing a container like that - be creative.

Think of things that are also shaped like it and place it in an area full of similarly-shaped items, or find something it fits into. icon_smile.gif

If you find something it fits into, be sure to mention that it is bright orange. That way, people will know that it is easy to spot, right? heh heh heh...

Leave it orange. Paint odd shapes with other bright colors on it. Bury it into grass or weeds. In the fall, it will blend in with fall leaves. In the summer it will be covered up by growing vegetation.

Bright color camoflage was used in naval design through WWII with good success. Blue/light blue/black/white geometric combinations were standard in British ships and were relatively common in early WWII US ships. Its not that you won't see it, your mind won't interpret it correctly.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

I found a container similar to this at K-Mart. TJ-Tigger has seen it in the wild. It almost looks like time capsle like container, or lke those tubes that drive up banks and pharmacys use. It was a cream container with a 1" wide by 5" long window you could see in the container on the side. What I did, is go back to the sporting goods section of K-Mart and bought some camoflauge cloth treebark tape. It is high quality tape that wont peel off. A lot of hunters use this to tape the barrels of their guns. I went around the whole container, excluding the window. I think it turned out pretty good!!

The Weasel

A few weeks ago I bought a mortar can, it's about 3" dia and about 20" long. (That's mortar as in light artillery, not mortar as in building material...) I'm still trying to figure out what exactly to put in it, but a "long and skinny" themed cache seems like the best idea. Maps, posters, model airplane kits, maybe a bike pump... ideas appreciated.

What Would Yoda Do?