Wow! All those Geocoins!

VentureForth

RE: Why the opposition to generating a profit?

Jomarac5,

Nobody is saying that they want to put up $2,000 just to give it away (although believe it or not there ARE people in the world who would choose to do so for the simple enjoyment it brings others).

The issue here is that someobdy is profiting off of another's hard work. The people at GC.com have busted thier @$$es to make the site, the sport, and yes the logo into something valuable and worthwhile. Why should somebody else be able to come along, grab their logo and sell items bearing it? That's why we have trademark laws in the first place - to protect the investment that was initially made.

If the logo was free to be used by anyone, the nyou would see a proliferation of crappy items put out that would ultimately reflect on GC.com. 99% of the population would never know it was NOT them who put it out and it would affect the way people view the company.

Besides, another party selling items with your logo on it creates issues for you if you want to sell that same item. And as the owner of the logo you should and DO have that right.

Take a wider look at your logic and you'll see that THIS principal is what protects business (and thier images) from 'copycats' who are trying to make money but fooling people into thinking thier product is the original.

(BTW, I know that the intentions of Neuman were not any of the above-mentioned).

Team FISUR: Sorry to hear about your situation but I'm glad you understand.

This has been done

http://bytethebullet.com/geologo/

geologo2a.gif

The problem is that new comers and those that don't read the message board know about it.

I feel the logo should be slightly changed though to look more like the Groundspeak Geocaching Logo without infringing on copyright laws. This way it gives the feel of the Groundspeak logo for those that may only be familiar with the Groundspeak logo.

Below is what I am thinking about.

gc1.gif

gc2.gif

gc3.gif

gc4.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LongDogs:

It sounds to me like we need to come up with a new, unencumbered, geocaching logo for this type of use.

Jomarac5, what are you doing trying to stir up something? This is an old thread; what did you just get to it? I was out of geocaching when this was made so I will keep it open too. It is a good read.

The deal on this is not that fact that it is wrong to make money on geocoins, it is the fact that texas geocoins was using Groundspeak trademark logo without their permission. Groundspeak, Jeremy, Groundspeak lawyers, whoever could care less if Texas geocoins made a million bucks as long as they did not use their property without their permission. I am with Groundspeak on this one.

Now, if the word "geocaching" itself came up as an issue that would be a different story. Despite, Groundspeak trademarking the word, I think we all know "geocaching" is a generic word now. I think Jeremy mentioned sometime ago that they are not pursuing that claim.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ag:

texas geocoins was using Groundspeak trademark logo without their permission. Groundspeak, Jeremy, Groundspeak lawyers, whoever could care less if Texas geocoins made a million bucks as long as they did not use their property without their permission. I am with Groundspeak on this one.

Now, if the word "geocaching" itself came up as an issue that would be a different story. Despite, Groundspeak trademarking the word, I think we all know "geocaching" is a generic word now. I think Jeremy mentioned sometime ago that they are not pursuing that claim.

From my memory of the event, it was more than Texas. The problem was there was no logo that could be affixed to a cache or to a local event (that was related to geocaching in a positive light) that wasn't copyrighted by Groundspeak. The problem is that many of us use logos to mark micro caches and even traditional caches as well as sig items. We would have had to pay a fee for each item making them prohibitively expensive. Thus the big push for a PD logo for geocaching and the near universal adoption of Leatherman's Gx or a variant.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

Seems that there's a bit of confusion about my post

My last post has not anything to do with copyright issues -- my post was about those who disagree with anyone making a profit from caching. It also had nothing to do with Texas coins. It is not about anyone profiting from someone else's hard work.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll see that I was commenting about the 5th post in the thread (by VentureForth, which I quoted), that was a reply to a post from Mr. Snazz who suggested "Unless they have permission from Groundspeak, they shouldn't be making back any money on them at all" -- and this I agree with 100%. If the Groundspeak logo is being used, it should be with permission and for that permission, I would expect that Groundspeak should make a percentage or flat fee from the sales of authorized logo merchandise (but that would be entirely up to the conditions that Groundspeak would negotiate with the coin producer).

I've even read comments on these boards expressing disapproval with Jeremy (Groundspeak) making a profit from this website as well. Frankly, I don't see a problem with it one bit. I hope that he makes millions and gets to park his H2 Hummer (next to the Vespa) in the garage of his fully paid off house in the Queen Ann area of Seattle. Those who make the investment and take the risk, whether it be financial, time, or otherwise are fully deserving of making a profit -- that's free enterprise. And it's fair.

I can't understand why some people have a problem with someone being successful and making a profit -- these entrepreneurs are the people who's ideas make our world work. EVERY successful idea needs revenue to survive and caching is not any different. Get over it.

My previous post still stands.

-----

Paul Ag -- regarding replying to this thread so long after it was posted -- so what? The idea of these forums is that you voice your opinions when you feel like it -- there is no time limit that I know of.

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on August 04, 2003 at 11:22 PM.]