Writing a good cache description

J.A.R.S.

It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what I like to see in a cache description... but I know when I see it.

Basically, if the cache description shows me that the hider did his homework, I like that. Sometimes a hider will mention alternate routes to the cache, or other similar things to indicate that they know the area well. They mention things like places not to go or clear up something that may be confusing to a person only navigating by coordinates.

Or... if you use pictures of me and my friend on the cache description, that will get bonus points from me.

Seriously, I just like to know that the person just didn't drop off a plastic bucket of stuff in the woods the first time they were there. I much more prefer to know that this is that person's stomping grounds.

You can often tell the difference by reading the cache page.

Jamie

3. Description of the physical container (lets me know if I need to bring small items for trade)

4. Estimated time of the hike (not the same thing as distance)

5. Need for any required or recommended equipment, incl. water, bugspray, waterproof shoes, etc . Yes, I know I should bring those every time in any event, but it doesn't hurt to remind me.

6. A little bit of background about the area. Is it a park? Did Daniel Boone used to trap there? Are there lots of owls? Anything like that which I can have in mind as I hike to the site.

Including street names, where applicable. Too many times the hunt for the starting point exceeds the hunt for the cache.

That said, perhaps I'm missing the point of the game and we're *supposed* to spend all that time looking to start the hunt "a few miles SE of Smithtown, park at the pull off before the park entrance" icon_wink.gif

I read the description but it's usually the logs that decide it for-- what the heck am I saying? Is there a cache out there I *wouldn't* seek!? NO! You post the coords, I'll go looking.

But please: Tell me where to start! icon_biggrin.gif

Including street names, where applicable. Too many times the hunt for the starting point exceeds the hunt for the cache.

That said, perhaps I'm missing the point of the game and we're *supposed* to spend all that time looking to start the hunt "a few miles SE of Smithtown, park at the pull off before the park entrance" icon_wink.gif

I read the description but it's usually the logs that decide it for-- what the heck am I saying? Is there a cache out there I *wouldn't* seek!? NO! You post the coords, I'll go looking.

But please: Tell me where to start! icon_biggrin.gif

I do not look to be handed a cache on a silver platter so that I can rack up another notch on my cache log. I like some desciptive prose offering a mental or physical challenge that lifts that particular cache above the mundane. I do not relish a drive and dump where the cacher assumes I have no more imagination than they do. I have noticed that many interesting cache pages lead to not so inspiring caches. It's just like in real estate, location, location, location! I do like to receive some hint which trail I should use, so as not to trample vegetation needlessly. Being able to use Mapquest and plot a cache location are part of the problem

The details on my cache pages will vary. If I want cachers to stay on a trail to cut down on bushwacking, I'll recommend a parking place and which trail to take to the cache.

If its a relatively easy cache that can be approached from a number of directions then I'll leave that stuff out and let the hunter find his/her own way.

I know some cache hunters don't want or need the parking info, while others prefer to have their "hands held" most of the way to the cache.

I've recently started putting the parking coodinates in the encrypted cheater instead of plain text on the cache page and labeling it [parking]. This should satisfy both types of cache hunters.

Among the other stuff I'll put on a cache page would be info about the history or geology of an area if it is of special interest.

Here are two examples of my cache pages. The first is full of information about geology,parking, etc..., while the 2nd gives little info beyond the coordinates and a description of the cache container.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=24963

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15946

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I, too, favor a bit more information than "Cache is a white tupperware box near the tree with three branches." In a suburban area, coodinates to a parking spot are highly appreciated. Not necessarily a street name, mind you, but a set of coordinates to find the starting point still keeps the hunt interesting by allowing the mystery of the satellites to guide me through streets.

In a cache description, I appreciate something of the area I'm searching-- historical, environmntal, scenic -- set in a notable form. I hope my caches will be in locations that a person will find interesting enough to linger a bit to explore or enjoy. For example: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=32828 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19657 The clues are there, but there is something else around the cache and description to expand on the basic "cache found, move to the next one" attitude. Just bagging a number is a waste of gasoline, in my view, if you haven't gotten anything from it. But, for the numbers guys out there, as they say on the AT: "You gotta hike your own hike..."

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Take a look at Rich in NEPA's cache descriptions for what I consider to be the perfect combination of details relevant to the hunt, information about the history of the area, other special goodies -- and so stylishly presented, too!

For example:

Seven Tubs

Archbald Pothole

Rich puts an enormous amount of effort into every aspect of the geocaches he hides, and it shows. It's obvious how much he cares about what he does. I try to model my descriptions after his, but I doubt I come close. I'm still in awe. icon_wink.gif

Zhanna

Take a look at Rich in NEPA's cache descriptions for what I consider to be the perfect combination of details relevant to the hunt, information about the history of the area, other special goodies -- and so stylishly presented, too!

For example:

Seven Tubs

Archbald Pothole

Rich puts an enormous amount of effort into every aspect of the geocaches he hides, and it shows. It's obvious how much he cares about what he does. I try to model my descriptions after his, but I doubt I come close. I'm still in awe. icon_wink.gif

Zhanna

I like a little info on why they picked this area to hide a cache. Its 'reason for being'. And if there is something tricky about the approach (parking, or a potentially confusing situation) a word about that.

But then again, I've only gone for the easy ones so far. Doesn't someone want to come with me and carrry one of the babies? icon_razz.gif

I like a little info on why they picked this area to hide a cache. Its 'reason for being'. And if there is something tricky about the approach (parking, or a potentially confusing situation) a word about that.

But then again, I've only gone for the easy ones so far. Doesn't someone want to come with me and carrry one of the babies? icon_razz.gif