Do you think this cache should be posted?

MTBguy

I would argue that the cache does not meet all guidelines for locationless caches. One of the guidelines is:

Locationless caches must be novel, meaning of interest to someone else. Something you'd expect to find in coffee table book format.

After a given race site is logged, is there any real interest among other geocachers in seeking out those coordinates and visiting the spot for the explicit reason of seeing the site of a race? I personally don't think so, and for that reason I can't see mountain bike race sites ever becoming the subject of a coffee table book, documentary, etc.

Moun10Bike's Geocaching Pages

I'm not really into Locationless Caches, but I'll try to give an unbiased and objective opinion.

quote:
The interest is in the uncommon, not the common.
I think this is the sentence on the requirements page that might be hanging you up. How common are mountain bike racing tracks? As common as horse racing tracks?

Is there a subset of these that you could do? Some way to limit that accessibility a little further. That might make the difference.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

How common are mountain bike racing tracks? As common as horse racing tracks?

Another reason I think this cache should be approved is this: Paintball Fever

I have no intrest in paintball, never played, never will own a gun, but paint ball fields are common (and easy to find.)

This cache really is similar to mine. I even require the hunter to do research to find out where a race is held, then supply info about it.

After looking at the Paintball Fever cache, I see no reason why mine shouldn't be approved. I doubt you could find a coffee table book about paintball fields.

Forgive me, I know nothing about the sport of mountain biking.

While I would not purchase a coffee-table book on this subject, I can imagine a coffee-table book related to this subject being published. On a hunch, I checked out Amazon.com. I found many books on mountain biking, including a few coffee table books. I didn't check to see how on-point these books were (because I was lazy).

I have no idea how many of these courses are around. I did not go to my bike shop to find out. A review of the yellow pages and the local park websites didn't turn any up. I'm going to go by the theory that if I've never noticed one and I can not find a local one doing quick-and-dirty research, then there is not too many. (I realize that my logic has a few flaws, but what should I care.)

The only question in my mind is whether a mountain bike course is a permanent object? Do mountain bikers use the course all year, but compete on it occasionally?

If it is a permanent location, I think the cache should be approved.

OFF TOPIC COMMENT:

I've never noticed the 'new' requirements page. Very cool. Thanks to the powers that be.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Forgive me, I know nothing about the sport of mountain biking.

While I would not purchase a coffee-table book on this subject, I can imagine a coffee-table book related to this subject being published. On a hunch, I checked out Amazon.com. I found many books on mountain biking, including a few coffee table books. I didn't check to see how on-point these books were (because I was lazy).

I have no idea how many of these courses are around. I did not go to my bike shop to find out. A review of the yellow pages and the local park websites didn't turn any up. I'm going to go by the theory that if I've never noticed one and I can not find a local one doing quick-and-dirty research, then there is not too many. (I realize that my logic has a few flaws, but what should I care.)

The only question in my mind is whether a mountain bike course is a permanent object? Do mountain bikers use the course all year, but compete on it occasionally?

If it is a permanent location, I think the cache should be approved.

Yes, very good points! Mountain BIke race courses ARE used all year round. (I have been to a certain trail several times this year to ride it.) Races are held anually. The purpose of this cache would be to collect coordinants of race course and info about the races so that other geocachers could go watch the race if they wished, or ride the trails. icon_cool.gif

If you are talking via communicatior to Captain Picard, remember this, for it is the single most important thing you can learn... Never give him a straight answer, make sure he has to come on down to the planet and see for himself.

quote:
Originally posted by MTBguy:

If you are talking via communicatior to Captain Picard, remember this, for it is the single most important thing you can learn... Never give him a straight answer, make sure he has to come on down to the planet and see for himself.

If you wear a red shirt, and everyone refers to you as 'crewman', never leave your quarters. Whatever you do, don't go down to the planet with a team of senior officers to 'investigate'.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

quote:
Originally posted by MTBguy:

If you wear a red shirt, and everyone refers to you as 'crewman', never leave your quarters. Whatever you do, don't go down to the planet with a team of senior officers to 'investigate'.

I need to make my signiture kine stand out from the rest of my post somehow.

BTW, if a show starts and there is a person whom you have never seen before in a starfleet uniform, chances are he is goiung to die.

Sorry, but in my opinion there unique about getting pictures as a local mountian bike event and posting as a cache. As far as the paintball cache goes it should be archived, not only for the above reason. But also because I would consider this a commercial cache, the make a very specific reference to having people come and play at their field.

Well, I voted in favor of the paintball cache, and would not vote in favor of the mountain bike cache, and here are my reasons.

The primary reason is this: how common is the activity? If I buy a mountain bike, can I use it on my street? Can I use it in a county park? Can I use it in the parking lot at my husband's work? What about if I buy paintball gear?

I can use a mountain bike all over, in many places where paintball would not only be inappropriate, but prohibited. I could ride a mountain bike to a paintball field, for example.

It has nothing to do with which activity I prefer, because I would vastly prefer to ride a mountain bike to playing in a paintball game.

It's just this: how common is it?

I feel the same way about quilting. While individual quilts are, to me, interesting, I would not expect to have the organizers approve a virtual cache of, say, "Pictures of Churn Dash quilts." There are just too many of them - I don't think that anyone would find it interesting enough to justify a virtual cache.

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by Team StitchesOnQuilts:

Well, I voted in favor of the paintball cache, and would not vote in favor of the mountain bike cache, and here are my reasons.

The primary reason is this: how common is the activity? If I buy a mountain bike, can I use it on my street? Can I use it in a county park? Can I use it in the parking lot at my husband's work? What about if I buy paintball gear?

I can use a mountain bike all over, in many places where paintball would not only be inappropriate, but prohibited. I could ride a mountain bike to a paintball field, for example.

It has nothing to do with which activity I prefer, because I would vastly prefer to ride a mountain bike to playing in a paintball game.

It's just this: how common is it?

I feel the same way about quilting. While individual quilts are, to me, interesting, I would not expect to have the organizers approve a virtual cache of, say, "Pictures of Churn Dash quilts." There are just too many of them - I don't think that anyone would find it interesting enough to justify a virtual cache.

Shannah

This cache isn't about where you can ride you bike, or how often you do it, but it is about the great trails where mountain bike races are held.

I know of a lovely house, built in 1917, with lots of original Craftsman details, including push button light switches and original chandeliers. The house has a butler's pantry, cold pantry (for refrigeration before they had refrigerators) and lots of the original built-ins.

This house has been used to host many quilting bees, and I have photos of the quilts that were made and/or quilted there.

Would "places quilts have been made" qualify as a virtual cache? If so, everyone to my house to log your find! (not really) My point is this: I don't think that mountain bike tracks are unusual enough to warrant a virtual cache. Just as I don't think "cool places quilting bees have been held" is unusual enough to warrant a virtual cache.

I realize you are very interested in mountain bike tracks. Great! Do as I did, and create yourself a photo album. I have lots of great photos of the people (men and women both, actually) who have come here to quilt, and their quilts, and each time I open the album, it makes me happy.

I'm not telling you you shouldn't keep the photos for your own satisfaction. Go for it! I just don't think it is unique enough to warrant having a virtual cache.

Shannah

who is done arguing about this